Create an App

Jump to solution
01-06-2015 12:49 AM
KarolinaKorzeniowska
Occasional Contributor

Hi,

I have a question regarding making a new App.

I would like to create a new App which should include few layers and additional functionality, e.g. measuring the distance, editing. On ESRI website there is a lot of possiblities to do this e.g. Ready to use App, develop your own App. But because of to many information I have doubt what will be the best solution. Is it better to use "Ready to use App" to generate a backgroung to my App and then to add additional layers? Or, maybe better will be to build my own App - however, I know that it will be more time consuming and more difficult.

Thanks for help,

Karolina

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
AnthonyGiles
Frequent Contributor

Karolina,

A few questions you have to ask yourself are:

1.  Do you have the ability to host your own application on your own server, or do you want to use ArcGIS Online to host the application.

2.  Do you want the application to be responsive to different devices (desktop, mobile etc..)

3.  If so, do you have the programming skills required to develop your app.

If you are unsure the best place to start would be to have a look at the different pre built apps available with ArcGIS online:

Create apps from maps—ArcGIS Online Help | ArcGIS

If you feel you would like a little more control over the application try using the new web app builder:

Web AppBuilder for ArcGIS | ArcGIS

If this still doesn't work for you and you want total control over the app and you have the ability to host the application on your own server, then you can take the source code from the majority of the apps available and code to your hearts content:

Esri · GitHub

There are also other good starting points for building you own out there, such as David Spriggs configurable viewer:

cmv/cmv-app · GitHub

A good thread with JavaScript resources can be found here:

Building Applications Using the ArcGIS API for JavaScript Resources

Hope this helps

Anthony

View solution in original post

4 Replies
AnthonyGiles
Frequent Contributor

Karolina,

A few questions you have to ask yourself are:

1.  Do you have the ability to host your own application on your own server, or do you want to use ArcGIS Online to host the application.

2.  Do you want the application to be responsive to different devices (desktop, mobile etc..)

3.  If so, do you have the programming skills required to develop your app.

If you are unsure the best place to start would be to have a look at the different pre built apps available with ArcGIS online:

Create apps from maps—ArcGIS Online Help | ArcGIS

If you feel you would like a little more control over the application try using the new web app builder:

Web AppBuilder for ArcGIS | ArcGIS

If this still doesn't work for you and you want total control over the app and you have the ability to host the application on your own server, then you can take the source code from the majority of the apps available and code to your hearts content:

Esri · GitHub

There are also other good starting points for building you own out there, such as David Spriggs configurable viewer:

cmv/cmv-app · GitHub

A good thread with JavaScript resources can be found here:

Building Applications Using the ArcGIS API for JavaScript Resources

Hope this helps

Anthony

KarolinaKorzeniowska
Occasional Contributor

Dear Anthony,

Thank you very much for your answer. Finally I decided to use Web AppBuilder for ArcGIS | ArcGIS because I found a template which includes all the functionalities which I want to have.

May I also ask for some tips how to implement a layer to my App template. e.g. I already have template with satellite imagery as a baskground and now I would like to add a new layer which represent connections between two cities and implement a legend with explanations.

Thanks again,

Karolina

0 Kudos
AnthonyGiles
Frequent Contributor

Karolina,

The web app builder builds an app based on a web map id, so you would use ArcGIS online (or Portal if hosting on your own network) to create a map, in this map add the relevant layers you would like to see in your app, create your symbology and popups etc, then save this web map to your account.

In the web app bulider go to the map tab and select choose web map, navigate under 'my content' to find your web map you saved above, see help here:

Map—Web AppBuilder for ArcGIS | ArcGIS

You should then see your layers in the Table of contents widget etc...

Hope this helps

Anthony

0 Kudos
KarolinaKorzeniowska
Occasional Contributor

Dear Anthony,

Thank you for your message and the answer for my question!

Regards,

Karolina

0 Kudos