import arceditor does not set proper license level

Jump to solution
12-23-2014 04:46 PM
XanderBakker
Esri Esteemed Contributor

I recently upgraded a system from ArcGIS 10.1 tot ArcGIS 10.3. The system is pointing to a concurrent licence server with Advanced and Standard licenses. In version 10.1, I am convinced that when using the import arceditor before the import arcpy statement (in the standalone IDE PyScripter), would force the license to Standard and not grab the highest available license what import arcpy normally does.

At 10.3 it grabs the Advanced license even though I have the import arceditor statement before the import arcpy statement.

Has anyone else noticed this, or is this just me?

I am not supposed to grab the advanced license and I don't want to create an ARCGIS.opt to reserve the advanced license, which would make it totally inflexible.

Thanx in advance for any insights you may provide...

Kind regards, Xander

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
AlexanderNohe1
Occasional Contributor III

Hi Xander Bakker‌,

Since I could reproduce the issue, I have logged the following defect:

[BUG-000084246 - Checking out another license level in Python by default checks out the advanced license level.]

Please keep in mind that I was only able to reproduce this in 10.3.  You are correct in thinking this was available at 10.1 as it is clearly documented here:

Accessing licenses and extensions in Python http://desktop.arcgis.com/en/desktop/latest/analyze/python/access-to-licensing-and-extensions.htm

http://desktop.arcgis.com/en/desktop/latest/analyze/python/access-to-licensing-and-extensions.htm

I hope this helps!

Alexander N.

View solution in original post

28 Replies
AlexanderNohe1

Hi Xander,

I have noticed the same issue.  I will further investigate this and get back to you!

Thanks,

Alexander N.

AlexanderNohe1

Hi Xander Bakker‌,

Since I could reproduce the issue, I have logged the following defect:

[BUG-000084246 - Checking out another license level in Python by default checks out the advanced license level.]

Please keep in mind that I was only able to reproduce this in 10.3.  You are correct in thinking this was available at 10.1 as it is clearly documented here:

Accessing licenses and extensions in Python http://desktop.arcgis.com/en/desktop/latest/analyze/python/access-to-licensing-and-extensions.htm

http://desktop.arcgis.com/en/desktop/latest/analyze/python/access-to-licensing-and-extensions.htm

I hope this helps!

Alexander N.

XanderBakker

Thanx! Alexander Nohe‌, hope it can be resolved soon...

0 Kudos
JimHall
New Contributor III

This issue seems to be resolved. It is important to follow the code example closely as the license level must be set before importing arcpy or you will get the highest level license available.

# Set desktop license used to Basic (keyword is arcview)

#

import arcview

import arcpy

0 Kudos
XanderBakker

I am looking at the support page to see if there is a patch of SP available for 10.3, but there are none referencing this problem: Patches and Service Pack - Esri Support

If I try it again using this code:

import arcview
import arcpy
print arcpy.ProductInfo()

...it returns:

>>> ArcInfo

Are you sure it is resolved?

0 Kudos
JimHall
New Contributor III

It is working for me; I had the license level after import arcpy and insuring the level was set first fixed it for me.  I could not find the bug report, did you?. Hence, I said it seems to be resolved. 

0 Kudos
XanderBakker

Just for clarification.. did you have this issue before or you can´t reproduce this issue?

What version are you using (mine is 10.3.0.4322)?

Do you have licenses available at all levels (Advanced, Standard and Basic)? (it grabs the highest available in my case)

MichaelVolz
Esteemed Contributor

I am running a python script at desktop 10.3.1 and I have the ArcGIS Administrator set to Basic.  I have no reference to a license level in my script, yet python pulls the highest level ArcGIS license available from the concurrent use license manager which is ArcInfo (Advanced).  I thought this bug would only pull the highest level ArcGIS license if the user specified a license different from the license set in ArcGIS Administrator on that computer (e.g. I set the license in script to Standard when ArcGIS Administrator is set to Basic but python actually uses an ArcInfo (Advanced) license?

0 Kudos
XanderBakker

Yep... it will consume the highest level available. Not sure it this is still the case in 10.5...