bixb0012

ArcGIS Pro Flawed Update Strategy

Discussion created by bixb0012 Champion on Dec 15, 2014
Latest reply on Feb 2, 2015 by bixb0012

This is a follow-on comment to an earlier post:  ArcGIS Pro update.

Currently, Esri has publicly released its third ArcGIS Pro Prerelease, build 1692.  The last two builds, 1566 and 1692, have been released as "Prelease Updates."  Unfortunately with the Prerelease Updates, they are not available to download through MyEsri.

If ArcGIS Pro updates were differential updates, like patches, I could see having users download build 1472 and then update the install using the application itself; however, the updates aren't updates but complete new installations.  I don't know how much has changed between builds, but I do know that I am pulling down ~700 MB for each update.  Why can't I download build 1692 from MyEsri to deploy internally?  Why do i have to create so much extra download traffic?  I have currently worked around the issue by grabbing the downloaded MSI and CAB files before the installer cleans them up, but I shouldn't need to find a workaround in the first place.

Unless Esri moves towards a truly differential update process, I think the current strategy of updating ArcGIS Pro is flawed and generates lots of unnecessary network traffic, not to mention wasted time while waiting for the not-too-svelte update to download. 

Outcomes