Hiding joined fields in map service

12-14-2014 08:45 AM
SandraLuken
Occasional Contributor

We are trying to create a map service based on a single feature class, that is joined to another feature class and another table. Yes I know, perhaps not the best approach, but it works for us based on how our data is structured.

In previous versions of ArcGIS Server (i.e., 10.0 SP5) we are able to accomplish both of these joins AND hide all unwanted fields, in both the parent and joined tables.

Now attempts to recreate this service with ArcGIS Server 10.2.2 are unsuccessful when it comes to hiding fields. As soon as one join is applied, all fields are now visible.

Is there a setting we've missed? Is this a bug?

0 Kudos
5 Replies
TobiasFimpel1
Occasional Contributor III

A possible workaround you could try is to create a query layer with ArcMap.

0 Kudos
SandraLuken
Occasional Contributor

The suggested workaround to use a query layer is successful in hiding unwanted fields. However, it does produce a different field naming convention, so will need to watch out for downstream dependencies with consuming applications.

Further testing also revealed that the problem is isolated with a feature class to feature class join, as a join to a standalone table is successful in hiding fields.

0 Kudos
TobiasFimpel1
Occasional Contributor III

Interesting, good to know. In your SQL query you should be able to re-name fields using standard SQL syntax "SELECT fieldname1 as thisnewfieldname1,...FROM...WHERE...etc"  Good luck!

0 Kudos
SandraLuken
Occasional Contributor

This was submitted to my local distributor and the issue can be replicated. It is now on it's way to Esri Inc to confirm as a bug. Will post a link to the NIM If/when this is confirmed.

0 Kudos
SandraLuken
Occasional Contributor

The issue has been captured by Esri Inc

[BUG-000084517 : Map service is showing the fields which are turned off in the MXD when a feature class is joined with another feature class and the data is in Oracle SDE 10.1 geodatabase.]

http://support.esri.com/en/bugs/nimbus/QlVHLTAwMDA4NDUxNw==

0 Kudos