Parcel Fabric - Condo Entry

Jump to solution
12-12-2014 08:22 AM
JeffWard
Occasional Contributor III

Hey,

I was wondering if people are entering condos in an easier/more efficient way than the way I was shown.  The way I was shown was - select the parcel that contains the condos, then in the attribute editor expand the related tables associated with the parcel, right click on the TaxParcelCondo table and select Add New, then enter the information for a single unit, rinse and repeat for each unit in that building/parcel.  Our county has three ski resorts which means many many condos.  There has to be a better way to do this.

I submitted this idea a while ago but it hasn't had much of an impact - one person voted it up (thanks whoever you are).

Has anyone else found a better way to enter these?  At times we have several dozen condos in each building.

Thanks,

Jeff

Jeff Ward
Summit County, Utah
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
ChrisBuscaglia
Esri Contributor

Jeff - very sorry for that.

I created it under a private repo., sorry.  Attached is .zip of the entire parcel publishing tools.

Let me know if you have any issues running the tool - check out the 'Condo Utilities'.

View solution in original post

14 Replies
JeffWard

So I have done some experimenting with getting these condo records entered more quickly.  (I had 170 of them yesterday) I am skipping the attributes window method - it was too much effort to enter each condo one at time, especially when several records share the same attributes (page index, floor, building number). 

So I open the table and just enter the individual unit numbers by clicking in the unit number field in the bottom empty record to create a new record, I enter its unit number, hit enter and enter the next unit number until I have created all of the new records and entered the unit numbers for that building.  I then select all of those new records and use the field calculator to populate the rest of the fields.  Just make sure you have records selected when calculating fields otherwise the whole table gets that value in that field.

Still not very efficient, but better than using the attributes window.

If anyone has a better way, please let me know.

Thanks,

Jeff

Jeff Ward
Summit County, Utah
0 Kudos
AmirBar-Maor
Esri Regular Contributor

Hi Jeff,

Why not transition to stacked geometries and have 1:1 relationship between the parcel and the unit? In that case you can use the duplicate tool and update the floor number automatically. This can also allow you to display it in 3D.

Thoughts?

Amir

JeffWard

We have multiple units per floor, so that wouldn't work unless we cut out each floor using the floor plan.  I really don't want to do that.

Thanks for the suggestion though.

Jeff Ward
Summit County, Utah
0 Kudos
ChrisBuscaglia
Esri Contributor

Jeff - you can do this with an InsertCursor through the python window.

import arcpy

cursor = arcpy.InsertCursor("TaxParcelCondo")

for i in range (0,25):

row = cursor.newRow()

row.setValue('LOWPARCELID', PIN)

cursor.insertRow(row)

Let me know and I'll add a simple script tool to the next Tax Parcel Editing download.  The tool will ask you for the Low Parcel Identification number and the number of condo records you want to add.

ChrisBuscaglia
Esri Contributor

I can also add another parameter to add the starting unit # - that would avoid you having to use the calculate tool in the table window.

Let me know if the above mentioned code will work and then I can take it from there.

CB

0 Kudos
JeffWard

Chris,

I think that would be very helpful.  You might want to add an increment value, our unit numbers don't always increment by 1.

Thanks,

Jeff

Jeff Ward
Summit County, Utah
0 Kudos
ChrisBuscaglia
Esri Contributor

Jeff - thanks for you feedback.

I've posted a new tool (soon to be included in the Tax Parcel Editing Download) for condos.

https://github.com/busbus/tax-parcel-publishing-migration-tools

This tool includes all the requirements as per this thread.  Please feel free to submit any issues through GitHub and keep the feedback coming.

Chris Buscaglia

ArcGIS Solutions

0 Kudos
JeffWard

Chris,

I tried following your github link and got a 404 error, even if I'm logged in to github.  I found your username on github but couldn't see anything for publishing-migration tools.

Thanks,

Jeff

Jeff Ward
Summit County, Utah
0 Kudos
ChrisBuscaglia
Esri Contributor

Jeff - very sorry for that.

I created it under a private repo., sorry.  Attached is .zip of the entire parcel publishing tools.

Let me know if you have any issues running the tool - check out the 'Condo Utilities'.