Shapefiles save in corrupted state to Windows Server 2008 R2 and above

12-11-2014 02:56 PM
KenMar
by
New Contributor

After editing a shapefile from a network 2008 R2 or 2012 Windows server, the saved shapefile becomes corrupt.  All of the shapefile components are updated except for the .dbf file.  When saving the edited shapefile, ArcMap (10.2) appears to successfully saves the changes, that is with no errors.  Upon reloading the shapefile, ArcMap displays a mismatch between shapes and table error.

While testing shapefile editing on the local hard drive and on Windows Server 2003, Windows Server 2008, the edits saved successfully and properly reloaded to ArcMap.

Can ESRI confirm this as a bug?  Is Windows 2008 R2 and Windows 2012 server not supported for 10.2 desktop?

0 Kudos
3 Replies
ModyBuchbinder
Esri Regular Contributor

Hey Ken

Did you ever found a solution for this?

We have the same problem.

Thanks

Mody

0 Kudos
JonathanQuinn
Esri Notable Contributor

I tested this on my end and wasn't able to reproduce the behavior.  I have a shapefile sitting on the C:\ drive and I'm using Windows Server 2012 R2.  I created a new shapefile, edited it in ArcMap, closed ArcMap, reopened it, and the shapefile loaded successfully.  This occurs with any shapefile you edit?

0 Kudos
AsrujitSengupta
Regular Contributor III

I think the original issue was that the Shapefiles were on Network Drive. The issue might not occur if its on Local Drive.

I'll try to test this as well to check.

Edit:

I couldn't reproduce the issue as well.

0 Kudos