Mapping land use with students

12-12-2014 06:44 AM
KeithMarston
New Contributor

Hello,

We have just arcGIS for our centre and we aim to take students out and get them collecting data which can then be synced to the map.  Ideally we want them to collect data on the ipads and then sync to the map to view on the computer.  How do they collect land use data that can then be put on and colour a whole building or field rather than just give a pinpoint location.

Sorry if this seems like a very basic question but I have been trawling through the website and have found nothing to help me at my very basic level.

THANKS!

0 Kudos
2 Replies
JamesFitzgerald
Occasional Contributor II

Hello Keith,

Maybe you could use arcGIS to classify an image for a landcover analysis. Once the landcover analysis is complete, then use the ipad to ground truth your landcover analysis. By using the ipad, it could be either point, line, and/or polygon. You may be able to download a GPS application to use and export the files.

Hope this helps!

James

0 Kudos
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

Keith, edit your post to move it to a more appropriate Place... for example

new to GIS or

the Education Place

you are more likely to target people with similar interests and experience. 

To do what you want to do is not simple and generating geometry in the field other than points is best left to the classroom. 
If you have ArcGIS Online there may be some educational resources for your area.  This one I found on the Esri Canada website in the education section  Adding Features from a File in ArcGIS Online but the work is done post-field other than in-field 

0 Kudos