ArcGIS Desktop for OSX

12-11-2014 11:48 AM
Langan_1Langan_1
New Contributor II

I have been a long time GIS for desktop user, and I am curious if ArcMap will ever be available to run on OSX without using bootcamp, parallels or other VM ware?

0 Kudos
2 Replies
ChristianWells
Esri Regular Contributor

Currently the only documentation on supportability for OSX is here:

What's Coming in ArcGIS | Common Questions

Excerpt:

"Currently, Esri has no plans to release ArcGIS for Desktop on Mac OS. However, a new application called Explorer for ArcGIS will be released in early Q2, 2014. In its initial release, it will support iOS 7 and be available for download from Apple's App store. In a future release we also plan on bringing this native app to the Android and Mac platforms. The initial release of the app will allow you to discover, use, and share maps in ArcGIS Online and Portal for ArcGIS. A future release will also have authoring capabilities."

DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

If you mean with the capabilities of ArcMap for windows?... No... Esri abandoned a fully functional GIS for Apple platforms a long time ago (I think around the time of ArcView 2.x) around the time that many local school boards were adopting Apple hardware (at least here in Canada).  Open source options exist for functional comparability but that is about it (response typed on my iToy)

0 Kudos