Network Analyst Results Lost - can be restored?

12-09-2014 09:14 AM
WilliamGillespie
New Contributor II

I ran an Network Analyst O-D Matrix solve overnight which resulted in about 28 million lines being drawn.  This is exactly what I wanted.  I went to save the ArcMap document, at which point ArcMap froze and could not recover.  I have found the temporary files that Network Analyst created and am hoping I can restore the results of the O-D Matrix solve (the 28 million rows)

There are 6 temporary files created called

"NAX653E.tmp" and "NAX653E.tmx" (these two modified when I started the process, small files)

"NAXAA8A.tmp" and "NAXAA8A.tmx" (these two modified when the process successfully completed. Very large files)

"NAXAF1E.tmp" and "NAXAF1E.tmx" (modified when started, zero kb).

Lastly there was a .gdb folder with a long string name created, in it is a timestamp file and a lock file.

Anyone have any ideas of how to restore the Lines created in the O-D Matrix solve from these temp files?

Capture.PNG

0 Kudos
1 Reply
MelindaMorang
Esri Regular Contributor

The problem probably occurred when you tried to persist the in-memory OD layer to disk by saving the mxd.  It probably ran out of memory.  It's a limitation of ArcMap's 32-bit architecture.  I doubt if you can recover your results from a NAX file.  My recommendation for future endeavors is to export the Lines sublayer to a feature class so you will have the results on disk to work with in the future.  That will probably be easier on the system than saving the mxd with the layer inside.

If solving a huge NA analysis becomes a problem, you can run it using the 64-bit background geoprocessing extension, and you can avoid running out of memory that way, but that won't help for saving mxds with gigantic layers in them.

0 Kudos