AnsweredAssumed Answered

How to collect polygon features from many people with a simple online form?

Question asked by blc@dksassociates.com on Dec 3, 2014
Latest reply on Dec 4, 2014 by blc@dksassociates.com

Hello,

I work at a transportation consulting firm that works over a large geographic area with dispersed offices. We'd like to develop a database of the locations of our projects, so that we can easily find relevant past projects when starting new work. I'm trying to figure out if this is something we can do using arcgis online. Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated.

What I'd like would be a feature service that includes polygons for each project, with attributes for an identifying number and some other information. It would need to be collaborative, so that anyone in the company can contribute features. Ideally, I'd like to create a simple form that others in the company could access through a webpage to submit project info.  This page would use a "draw on the map" input to create shapes, and have some fields for the attributes.

Separately, I'd like to have a map with all features on it that could be queried by users.

I'm familiar enough with collecting features into a feature service using ArcGIS Collector on mobile, and displaying the results on a map or using the service layer in ArcMap. However, there are a few items I'm unsure about:

1) Is there a web-based method for collecting features? (something simpler and more error-resilient than editing a map through the arcgis online interface)

2) Could it be used without logging into arcgis online?

3) Could it be embedded in another webpage, possibly on an intranet?

I'm not sure if this functionality is something that's currently available in arcgis online, or if it would require arcgis server, or if I should be looking outside the esri universe.

Thank you!

~Ben

Outcomes