symbolizing on a field makes map run real slow

Jump to solution
12-03-2014 10:50 AM
ErikBlake
Occasional Contributor III

When I attempt to symbolize a layer on one particular field it causes the map to react real slow. It takes the layer a good 3 to 5 minutes to draw causing the map to basically become unresponsive. However if I try to symbolize on any other field in that layer it draws and behaves perfectly fine. I have tried symbolizing the layer in a brand new map along with other established maps and it reacts the same way when I symbolize on that field.

We are at 10.1 sp1.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
XanderBakker
Esri Esteemed Contributor

Does it help if you create an attribute index on that field?

View solution in original post

3 Replies
XanderBakker
Esri Esteemed Contributor

Does it help if you create an attribute index on that field?

ErikBlake
Occasional Contributor III

Xander

Thanks for the reply. For whatever reason it seems to be working now. Not sure what happened. It was working fine for a while then started acting strange yesterday. I forgot to mention that the feature class that the map is using is part of a replication. So I just compressed both databases and synced from default to the replication re-added the layer and it seems to be working great now. However if it continues to act strange and become slow again, I will try and create the attribute index and see if that stabilizes the layer. Thanks again for your time.

0 Kudos
arslanahmad
New Contributor II

keep map resolution at low level then it works pretty well 

0 Kudos