ArcGIS public transit analysis tools

12-02-2014 04:22 PM
MelindaMorang
Esri Regular Contributor

Hello, everyone.  There are several downloadable tools for public transit analysis in ArcGIS.  Please feel free to use these and to send feedback so we can make these tools better.

Add GTFS to a Network Dataset allows you to add GTFS data to an ArcGIS network dataset so you can run schedule-aware analyses using the Network Analyst tools.

BetterBusBuffers maps the frequency of transit service, showing either buffers around transit stops or user-selected input points, weighted by the number of transit trips available within a specified time window.

Display GTFS Route Shapes is a simple tool to generate a feature class of your GTFS route shapes for display on a map.

Edit GTFS Stop Locations allows you to edit your stop locations and/or attributes in ArcMap and generate an updated GTFS stops.txt file.

Generate GTFS Shapes allows you to create a shapes.txt file for your GTFS dataset using Network Analyst and the ArcMap editing tools.

Tags (2)
3 Replies
CYChew1
New Contributor

Hi Melinda,

Thanks for the info. I see there are couple of new tools to support GTFS data in Esri Network dataset. Is there a plan or available tool that support the conversion of ArcGIS network analyst dataset to GTFS format instead?

Hope can shed some lights on this.

Thanks.

CY

0 Kudos
MelindaMorang
Esri Regular Contributor

Hello, CY.

At this time, there are no plans for a tool to create a GTFS dataset from ArcMap.  One of the main reasons is that most of the data included in the GTFS dataset is not inherently geographical.  stops.txt is the only required file that contains any geographic information at all (the stop locations).  The only other file that includes lat/lon points is shapes.txt.  The rest of the files are a large set of related tables containing information about the schedules.  We don't have any tools to help with scheduling, and table manipulation is probably easier outside of ArcMap.

0 Kudos
joshyoung1
New Contributor

Hi Melinda,

I'm using GTFS data to visualise Bus Routes. I'd like to create a network which can be used with Schematics, with the end result being a network diagram that is similar to the one found here:

Create route maps with the ArcGIS schematics extension | ArcGIS Blog 

What is the best method of setting up my network? I need to be able to control which routes share the same line, and which ones will need to be offset from one another.

Thanks for your help! 

0 Kudos