StoryMap using polygons rather than points

Jump to solution
12-01-2014 11:48 AM
warrenroberts
Occasional Contributor II

Who can complain about the wonderful StoryMap templates .. its an awesome resource for us in education.  Just curious if there is an option template to use polygons rather than points in a story map such as this one StoryMap  ..for example, I'd like to permit folks to zoom in and have a list of researchers in a geographic area reduce in number ... a researcher may list Africa as their area of research so I would not want to display him or her as a single point but if any part of Africa is displayed in the view frame then they should be listed as someone researching in Africa .. a point would not work.  Do I make any sense?

Tags (1)
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
RupertEssinger
Frequent Contributor

Hi Naomi, that's not supported: places have to be point features in our place-based apps (Tour, Shortlist. Crowdsource) although we do see the need of being able to expand that to lines and polys and have wanted to do that ourselves for some stories, including the ability for the app to reflect the extent of that feature (whereas a point feature proxy for a line or poly doesn't have a specific extent). It is something are we looking at as we plan the future of those apps.

In the meantime, how about using Story Map Journal for your story.  In a Story Map Journal, each section can show the specific map extent and layers that you author. So if you want to show people a set of different areas, a Map Journal lets you do that nicely, and each section can contain unlimited pictures and narrative text. You'd have to author the sections manually though, unlike in a Tour or Shortlist the story can be data-driven.

Rupert

View solution in original post

5 Replies
RupertEssinger
Frequent Contributor

Hi, in that particular template (the Shortlist) used in that example you give, you could add a polygon layer into the web map as a supporting clickable layer that is drawn underneath the points. So a point could represent the polygon. But the tabs would still only show you the points in the current extent, not the polygons. You can similarly add a polygon layer into web maps used in story maps that display points so there is one polygon per point. 

NaomiBegg2
Occasional Contributor III

What I'm after is to have a polygon layer in a story map that creates a 'point' (actually polygon!)/ story blurb bit for each of the records within the layer and then when looking at that blurb have it zoom to and highlight the polygon.

0 Kudos
RupertEssinger
Frequent Contributor

Hi Naomi, that's not supported: places have to be point features in our place-based apps (Tour, Shortlist. Crowdsource) although we do see the need of being able to expand that to lines and polys and have wanted to do that ourselves for some stories, including the ability for the app to reflect the extent of that feature (whereas a point feature proxy for a line or poly doesn't have a specific extent). It is something are we looking at as we plan the future of those apps.

In the meantime, how about using Story Map Journal for your story.  In a Story Map Journal, each section can show the specific map extent and layers that you author. So if you want to show people a set of different areas, a Map Journal lets you do that nicely, and each section can contain unlimited pictures and narrative text. You'd have to author the sections manually though, unlike in a Tour or Shortlist the story can be data-driven.

Rupert

FerdinandQuinones
New Contributor II

Hi, Rupert. Since the changes to the Story Maps page I lost how to protect

a Story Map from accidental deletion. I have been working on a Map Journal

on the effects of hurricane Maria over Puerto Rico, and would hate to loose

all the work completed. The instructions when I search are (to me)

confusing. Can you or somebody else provide a step by step procedure to do

so? Is it a global setting that does it for all Story Maps in my "My

Stories" or individual settings. I am confused. Thanks.

0 Kudos
RupertEssinger
Frequent Contributor

Hi Ferdinand

Please start a new thread for your question.

Rupert

0 Kudos