Proper select by location

Jump to solution
11-26-2014 06:30 PM
AndrewLawrence
New Contributor

Bit of an elementary question but I keep second guessing myself whether I've used the correct select by location query. I am just attaching slope classes I've created from a slope analysis on a TIN to a land parcel feature class table. I've selected the specific range of slope classes I'm interested in, using a select by attributes. I've selected the parcels that are within the specific slope classes by using a select by location "are within the source layer feature" using the selected features. Is this the proper select by location query to use for my specific situation? Thanks!

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
XanderBakker
Esri Esteemed Contributor

The Help dos not contain any specifics on how it manages multiple adjacent polygons:

To be selected, the geometry of the target feature must fall inside the geometry of the source feature. Selected features and source features can have overlapping boundaries.

Just zoom in to several specific cases and evaluate if if did what you wanted.

This type of analysis is normally done in the raster format using zonal statistics:

ArcGIS Help (10.2, 10.2.1, and 10.2.2)

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
1 Reply
XanderBakker
Esri Esteemed Contributor

The Help dos not contain any specifics on how it manages multiple adjacent polygons:

To be selected, the geometry of the target feature must fall inside the geometry of the source feature. Selected features and source features can have overlapping boundaries.

Just zoom in to several specific cases and evaluate if if did what you wanted.

This type of analysis is normally done in the raster format using zonal statistics:

ArcGIS Help (10.2, 10.2.1, and 10.2.2)

0 Kudos