ArcView symbols

11-26-2014 03:21 PM
PeggyThorpe
New Contributor

I am using a newer version of ArcView and see that many of the older symbols are not available anymore.

Is there any way to be able to use the old symbols? I created several maps with older style symbols, and want to stay consistent with my maps.

An example is the radiation symbol used to be red/white and now it's much different, black/gold and slightly resembles a happy face wearing sunglasses with an open mouth. I prefer the older version. Is there a way to download the older symbols that used to be available?

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
4 Replies
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

you can import *.avl files within the symbology window...looup towards the top of the symbology window and select import

PeggyThorpe
New Contributor

Thanks,

ok, I see where that is, but it wants to direct me towards a folder, and I'm not sure which folder the .avl files are in...

I'll keep trying...

0 Kudos
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

Peggy...you would need the *.avl files already.  In the day...they were stored with the shapefile in the same folder, usually with the same name as the shapefile but with a *.avl extension.  If you don't have such files, then you are out of luck.

PeggyThorpe
New Contributor

Thank you so much Dan,

I really appreciate you taking the time to help me, and answer my questions.

Unfortunately, when I upgraded my version of ArcView... the old files were lost somehow... bummer!

Thanks again!!

~Peggy~

0 Kudos