StoryMaps- Preferred deployment

11-26-2014 11:55 AM
JosephJose
New Contributor III

Deploying a storymap Tour for the first time. It is contend intensive with pictures and heavy textual information with ofcourse maps.

For deploying the app, I find there are two options:

1. Deploy in ArcGISOnline

2. Download the app and deploy it in the local webserver.

What is the preferred and most used approach the industry follows?

Tags (2)
0 Kudos
8 Replies
XanderBakker
Esri Esteemed Contributor

If you don't need to change the configuration and the Story Map you are looking for is available as template and the data is published with public access, you can deploy it in ArcGIS Online, Otherwise download and configure for use on your local webserver,

GregoryL_Azou
Occasional Contributor III

+1 we recommend to host it on your own server only if you need to customize the application, some other information on the GitHub repository Map Tour - Introduction and Map Tour - The downloadable version.

ThomasGeorge
New Contributor

Guess with the ShortList Story Map Shortlist | Story Maps

and the countdown app, one is forced to get the downloaded version.

Will esri put these templates up on the hosted site?

0 Kudos
JosephJose
New Contributor III

How about templates like? Don't think esri has it online

Story Map Shortlist℠

Story Map Countdown℠

0 Kudos
GregoryL_Azou

Yes not all template are available in ArcGIS Online yet, so those one you need to download and them yourself.

0 Kudos
XanderBakker
Esri Esteemed Contributor

I think in the December 2014 release some more templates are coming, but I'm not quite sure which ones.

0 Kudos
GregoryL_Azou

In the December release, we are going to release one new application named Map Series that will replace Side Accordion, Tabbed Viewer and introduce a third new layout. More to come in 2015

RupertEssinger
Frequent Contributor

Definitely more to come!

We recommend following the Esri Story Maps team on Twitter to get the latest news and best story map examples from us: Esri Story Maps (@EsriStoryMaps) | Twitter (You don't need to join Twitter to view our feed).