Heat maps/multiple values

11-26-2014 08:52 AM
ELTerrell
New Contributor III

I'm trying to learn a bit about heat maps.  I was curious if multiple values could be shown.  Specifically, I have voter political parties (represented by blue and red dots).  Can I create a heat map that shows the density of their locations?  Thanks in advance.

0 Kudos
5 Replies
XanderBakker
Esri Esteemed Contributor

It would be best to manage the data as two separate layers.

ELTerrell
New Contributor III

I see.  The issue there is they came off one spreadsheet.  I have a spreadsheet with a voters name, address (xy), and party affiliation.  Would it still be best to make two layers?

0 Kudos
XanderBakker

Just to be sure, where and how are you going to create the heatmap? Using Esri Maps for Office (can't upload the heatmap to AGOL) or using an API (like js). In AGOL you have analysis options to create hotspots, but be aware that heatmap is a visualization type while hot spot is an analysis.

0 Kudos
ELTerrell
New Contributor III

I was going to use the point density command.  Not sure what AGOL or API are.  What would you recommend?

0 Kudos
XanderBakker

AGOL = ArcGIS Online, API means application programming interface. You can see the list of available API's and SDK's (Software Development Kits) here: ArcGIS for Developers

An example of a heatmap using the JavaScript API can be found here:

Explore Heat Maps | ArcGIS API for JavaScript

A heat map is basically a type of visualization while dot density and hot spot analysis are real types of analysis. A very useful resource is the blog post by Lauren Rosenshein‌:

Spatial Statistics Resources | ArcGIS Blog

Kind regards, Xander

0 Kudos