ArcGIS Pro: Can't Share > Export Map from any Layout

11-25-2014 08:37 AM
MikeGregotski
Esri Contributor

Hi,

I am not able to use the Share > Export Map function on any Layout that I have in any project in Pro.

I’ve tried exporting to different formats (BMP, JPG, TIF, PDF), used different projects (with just a map in the layout) and also tried two different computers but Pro always crashes during the export.  See the attached screen capture.

I can export from a map without error.

Is there something that I need to do before I export the layout?  

I’m using 1.0 Prerelease Update, Build 1566.

Thanks,
Mike

0 Kudos
16 Replies
JeremyWright
Esri Regular Contributor

Mike,

As I replied on the beta forums dupe of this post - I am unable to repro this problem locally on the PR2 build OR even on current builds.  can you try a blank layout (no map frame) and see if that works?

0 Kudos
MikeGregotski
Esri Contributor

Thanks for your response Jeremy.

I tried a new layout with nothing in it. Then did the export and I got the same results, a crash.

So I tried creating a new project with just a default map and a blank layout.  I got the same results when exporting the layout, a crash.

I've noticed now that I am unable to save my projects anymore as well.  Whenever a new project is created or I try to save it I get this error (also below):

ArcGIS Project

Failed to save the current project.

Error:

Project Service::SaveProjectAsync Failed

I was going to uninstall and reinstall but thought that you might have another suggestion. Do you have a suggestion?

Thanks,

Mike

PS. Thanks for your retweets!ProError.JPG

0 Kudos
JeremyWright
Esri Regular Contributor

I've seen this error message when you try to save and can't acquire exclusive lock on the aprx (for instance when more than one person has the APRX open).  That is a known issue that content management is working on.  Let me ping them about this.

0 Kudos
MikeGregotski
Esri Contributor

Hi Jeremy,

Thanks for your response.  An uninstall and reinstall fixed the save error.

I'm now tackling the export layout problem again.

I can export layouts from new projects that just have a map in the layout.  This works fine and is good.

So I've tried adding some more elements to the layouts and exporting.  This will either:

-make the exported file on disk and then crash Pro

or

-crash Pro without creating the file on disk

Do you have any further suggestions or is there any kind of log file that Pro writes to disk?  I've looked for one but haven't been able to find it.

Mike

0 Kudos
JeremyWright
Esri Regular Contributor

Mike,

I think we may have encountered this problem and fixed it in the current release (prerelease update 2).

can you try updating to PU2 and see if you can still reproduce the crash?

0 Kudos
MikeGregotski
Esri Contributor

Thanks Jeremy,

I updated to Prerelease Update 2 this morning but the problem still persists.  My newly created projects work but older ones crash on the layout export.

In troubleshooting I renamed the C:\Users\mgregotski\AppData\Local\ESRI\ArcGISPro1.0 folder and then open Pro and tried the export again but it still failed. Do you have any other suggestions or old folders that I could rename that might be holding onto old settings?

Thanks,

Mike

Pro.JPG

0 Kudos
JeremyWright
Esri Regular Contributor

Mike,

Can you package up one of these old projects (SHARE tab, Project)?  We'd like to take a look at why this is occurring.

Also, do you have any peers who can try opening the package as well?

0 Kudos
MikeGregotski
Esri Contributor

Hey Jeremy,

It took me some time to revisit this issue and for some reason now I can't replicate it anymore.  I can export to all formats from the existing aprx files without error or crash. I've even loaded more elements into the Layout and the export continues to work.  I'm not sure what changed but everything seems fine now.

Thanks for your input.

Mike

0 Kudos
JeremyWright
Esri Regular Contributor

OK Mike - keep us posted if you run into the issue again.

0 Kudos