Changes to SDK for Arc 10.3

11-25-2014 02:36 PM
AllanMills
New Contributor III

I've set up the beta release of Arc 10.3 and the SDK in a virtual machine on Visual Studio 2013. I was looking to see how many, if any, changes I'll need to make when we start using this version. The answer so far seems to be quite a bit. If I try importing my project which works for Arc 10.1/10.2 it doesn't create the add-in it is supposed to saying "Unable to create .esriAddin; missing ESRI ArcGIS Add-in SDK component(s)." in the output window.

So I tried making a new add-in project and imported my old files into that. But it gives me error messages like: "'UID' is ambiguous in the namespace 'ESRI.ArcGIS.esriSystem'" and "'IApplication' is ambiguous in the namespace 'ESRI.ArcGIS.Framework'". These appear when I try to declare objects as UID or IApplication.

eg. 

Dim uid As ESRI.ArcGIS.esriSystem.UID = New ESRI.ArcGIS.esriSystem.UIDClass()

Private s_app As ESRI.ArcGIS.Framework.IApplication

I'm guessing the interfaces and objects have been changed in 10.3? But when I check the included help it says it is ok (then again, the included help still refers to using the setup project even though VS 2012 and VS 2013 don't have it). I did notice that if I type in ESRI.ArcGIS.Framework. as part of declaring a variable the autocomplete in VS doesn't have any suggestions at all.

Anyone know if this is just because of changes to the SDK?

0 Kudos
1 Reply
DuncanHornby
MVP Notable Contributor

I have just had a similar issue. I am editing an older project developed in 10.2 on my machine which was upgraded to 10.3. I am now using Visual Studio 2012.

All was going OK until I added a new AddIn button then it all blew up! I was getting ambiguous namespace errors. I found this older thread which pointed me to the problem.

IApplication is ambiguous in the namespace 'ESRI.ArcGIS.Framework' error

For some reason it had added COM and .NET libraries e.g. both esriSystem, so I removed all the COM versions and this has fixed it. I guess it is a bug with VS?