HydrographicS57Layer visualizing issues

11-24-2014 02:35 AM
Labels (1)
EugenReiswich
New Contributor

Hi folks,

right now we are evaluating Esri-capabilities to display maritime charts (ENC-files). Thanks to Antti we've been able to display ENC-files in our application. However, when we compare the results with the Seven C's SeeMyENC application, they look quite different - although they use both the S52 standard for visualization. I've enclosed a picture to demonstrate the difference:

Comparisong_ArcGIS_SevenCs.png

The HydrographicS57Layer does not display many symbols, text, numbers etc., not before we zoom in to a detailed map scale. Can we adjust some settings at what map scale symbols, text and numbers are displayed and how they are displayed (say font size and color)?

Kind regards,

Eugen

0 Kudos
2 Replies
LeeBrinton
Occasional Contributor

Hi Eugen,

Based on the screenshot provided, there could be a couple of things going on. The screenshot on the left appears to be displaying fewer items, it also appears to be at a smaller scale. In this case the lack of layers being displayed may be caused by SCAMIN being turned on. In the HydrographicS57Layer you should have the ability to turn this off, as documented here.

Furthermore, the display may also be different as the HydrographicS57Layer is supporting the 3.2 spec of S-52, whereas SevenC's is supporting the current 3.4 spec (with some possible cartographic modifications). Since the IHO is currently working on approving the new S-52 spec of 4.0, Esri will be skipping 3.4 and move directly to the 4.0 spec. I don't have a date yet for this but once the spec is approved we will work on getting it into the release as soon as possible. 

Thanks,

LB

0 Kudos
EugenReiswich
New Contributor

Hi Lee,

as you pointed out, the screenshot on the left (Esri HydrographicS57Layer) does display fewer items. The question is why?

We used the same ENC for both applications.  From my point of view the different S-52 spec implementations are the more obvious reasons. Thanks for clarification.

0 Kudos