Reprojection from geographic to EckertIV does not work correctly

Jump to solution
11-24-2014 03:47 AM
ClintonJenkins
New Contributor III

I don't know if this is a bug or a fundamental problem with the conversion from geographic (lat/lon) to an EckertIV projection, but for some polygons it does not work correctly. I have a layer with some polygons that cover a nearly global extent. When they are reprojected to Eckert IV, pieces get cut off, particularly around New Zealand. This also happens if one simply loads the geographic layer into a data frame that is set to EckertIV, and so the projection is done on the fly.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
MelitaKennedy
Esri Notable Contributor

Try densifying the polygons before projecting them. Because it's happening on edges that are curved in the target CRS, I think you have "two-point lines" in the problem areas. ArcGIS doesn't automatically densify when reprojecting data.

You might also run the check geometry tool to see if it finds anything.

Melita

View solution in original post

4 Replies
ClintonJenkins
New Contributor III

The same problem seems to occur when reprojecting to Mollweide.

0 Kudos
ClintonJenkins
New Contributor III

Below are examples. The original purple layer is geographic, the other two are EckertIV and Mollweide. Notice the area around New Zealand.

geographic.jpgExkertIV.jpgMollweide.jpg

MelitaKennedy
Esri Notable Contributor

Try densifying the polygons before projecting them. Because it's happening on edges that are curved in the target CRS, I think you have "two-point lines" in the problem areas. ArcGIS doesn't automatically densify when reprojecting data.

You might also run the check geometry tool to see if it finds anything.

Melita

ClintonJenkins
New Contributor III

Aha! Check geometry didn't find anything, but densify seems to work. I'm not sure how practical it will be if it means I have to add lots of extra vertices, since that would make the file bigger, but this does look to be the fundamental problem. Thanks!

0 Kudos