Kernel density questions

08-30-2010 01:18 PM
MatthewWalters
New Contributor II
I'm trying to do some kernel density estimates for a population of animals.  The ecological literature is rife with examples of people doing this using the Animal Movement extension, but this is no longer available with modern versions of ArcInfo. 

I have been running into a couple of problems.  First, I need to figure out how to control the bandwidth.  I need to use the Least Squares cross-validation (LSCV) method, but moreover I need to be sure how to specify bandwidth to begin with.  Based on the the spatial analyst documentation I am assuming that search radius is synonamous with bandwidth here (since it directly affects smoothing of the resulting kernels)?  Anyone have any experience implementing LSCV?

The extent of the region showing the density estimate contours also cuts off right at the edges of data I'm working with.  Any idead on how to get it to display/calculate the whole kernel?

Finally, I need to calculate area based on the 95% density estimate I create here but the raster created seems to have a continuous distribution contained in it and the display varries based on what catagories I request.  Again ... help!

I'm open to all suggestions.

Matt
0 Kudos
1 Reply
ColinMurray
New Contributor II
This doesn't provide a straight forward answer to your questions but I found this application from previous forum discussions: http://filebox.vt.edu/users/plaver/abode/home.html

The user manual seems to go into some detail.

Check it out. I haven't used it yet myself. Let me know what you think.
Colin
0 Kudos