Will Migrate Storage break a replication?

Jump to solution
11-19-2014 08:35 AM
ChrisMathers
Occasional Contributor III

My feature classes geometry are a mix of SQL Geometry in some tables and SDE Binary in others. If I use Migrate Storage on all the feature classes on my production database from SDE Binary, will that break the replications I have going to other databases? Should I convert everything on my publication database to SQL Geometry as well and re-setup the replications?

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
JakeSkinner
Esri Esteemed Contributor

Hi Chris,

Migrating the storage of your feature classes will not break the replication.  As for whether you should migrate all of your feature classes to Geometry, I would test a feature class and compare the performance.  In my current environment, I experience faster performance with SDE Binary.  One reason you may want to migrate your data is if you need to access your spatial or raster data using structured query language (SQL)

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
2 Replies
JakeSkinner
Esri Esteemed Contributor

Hi Chris,

Migrating the storage of your feature classes will not break the replication.  As for whether you should migrate all of your feature classes to Geometry, I would test a feature class and compare the performance.  In my current environment, I experience faster performance with SDE Binary.  One reason you may want to migrate your data is if you need to access your spatial or raster data using structured query language (SQL)

0 Kudos
ChrisMathers
Occasional Contributor III

We already have a blend of the two and I haven't seen any differences. The feature classes from the old db (9.3.1) that were migrated to the current db (10.1) are in SDE Binary but any we have created since are in SQL Geometry as that is the config keyword for our database and is the default at 10.1.

0 Kudos