HydrographicS57Layer release state

11-17-2014 02:09 AM
Labels (1)
EugenReiswich
New Contributor

Hi folks,

we are working on a professional and highly reliable application for a maritime company. One of our challenges is to display ENC and bENC data. Thus we are experimenting with the ArcGis HydrographicS57Layer. However, this layer is not in the common ArcGis Runtime namespace. Is the HydrographicS57Layer an officially released layer or work in progress? 

Kind Regards,

Eugen

Tags (2)
0 Kudos
3 Replies
MichaelBranscomb
Esri Frequent Contributor

Hi,

The HydrographicS57Layer included with the ArcGIS Runtime SDK for WPF and ArcGIS Runtime SDK for .NET is an officially released layer type.

In the WPF SDK it is in the ESRI.ArcGIS.Client.AdvancedSymbology namespace: ArcGIS Runtime SDK for Microsoft WPF - Library Reference 

In the .NET SDK it is in the Esri.ArcGISRuntime.Hydrographic namespace: Esri.ArcGISRuntime.Hydrographic Namespace  

It is not in the main Layers namespace because it is industry-specific symbology with a number of related/dependent types which would not sit comfortably in the Layers namespace and therefore they have been grouped together in a specific functional namespace.

If you are embarking on a new project I would recommend using the newer ArcGIS Runtime SDK for .NET.

Cheers

Mike

0 Kudos
EugenReiswich
New Contributor

Hi Mike,

thanks for the quick reply. We are using ArcGIS Runtime SDK for .NET to display ENC & bENC files. I've read there is also an ArcGIS server side component for ENC and bENC data. Is this true an where can I find more information about the difference between those two?

Regards,

Eugen

0 Kudos
LeeBrinton
Occasional Contributor

Hi Eugen,

The Server side component you are mentioning I believe is the Maritime Chart Server. Maritime Chart Server creates a web service of S-57 data and dynamically displays it with the correct S-52 symbology. We do this without generating any caches or feature services, it will also support the correct display scale based on the scale band defined in the S-57 cell itself. I do believe so long as your bENC's are in the S-57 format they should display without issue. The one caveat is that Maritime Chart Server is only available as a professional service, as of today. We plan to release this functionality formally as a Server extension in 2015. If you are interested in learning more about Maritime Chart Server, or would like to talk about setting it up on your site (sooner than 2015) feel free to email me at lbrinton@esri.com.

I hope this helps,

Lee