What is the rationale for ArcGIS Pro creating a Project on start-up?

11-17-2014 08:45 PM
StephenLead
Regular Contributor III

In almost every other application I can think of, the process is to start the application, and start working on the project/document/whatever. Once you hit Save or Save As, the project/document/whatever is created and saved to disk.

ArcGIS Pro requires you to create the project up-front, before you've done anything else. As a consequence, when I start a new ArcGIS Pro session I'm confronted with MyProject12, MyProject11, MyProject10, etc. Most of these are probably empty.

arcgis pro.PNG

I can't think of any advantages to forcing us to create and name a project before we've actually done anything. Am I missing something?

Thanks,

Steve

Tags (1)
6 Replies
JoeFlannery
Occasional Contributor III

I agree and ask the same question.

Vote for change:

ArcGIS Idea - Open ArcGIS Pro without having to Save

StephenLead
Regular Contributor III

I'd vote this up, except I can never log into that Ideas site.........

0 Kudos
BruceHarold
Esri Regular Contributor

Hi, please see the comment at the idea site for 'Open ArcGIS Pro without having to Save'

0 Kudos
larryzhang

I also add one point into this discussion:

Pro should offer an option for users to create a blank project without loading Topographic from ArcGIS Online as backdrop and global spatial reference system (WGS 84).

For business uses, most projects from Pro will often use local spatial reference system, rather than WGS 84.

Right now, after users setup local SR, new map / scene created is still loading Topographic from ArcGIS Online...

0 Kudos
JeremyWright
Esri Regular Contributor

Larry and stephen,

take a look at project->Options->Map and scene menu for some of the options you requested above. 

0 Kudos
larryzhang

Jeremy,

You are right. My wish for this already available (Basemap is NON).

Options.PNG

0 Kudos