Newbie help.

Jump to solution
11-13-2014 06:38 AM
ManettaDillingham
New Contributor

I'm new to GeoNet and would like to join a group that discusses basic ArcMap topics. I took a class over 7 years ago and haven't used ArcMap since then until being employed in my current job 4 months ago. Let's just say I've forgotten a great deal.

Having said that, I don't even know what place to put this question so it is going into Geoprocessing.

Tags (2)
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
JakeSkinner
Esri Esteemed Contributor

Hi Manetta,

You would want to place your question in the Geoprocessing place:

Geoprocessing

Also, be sure to add tags to your post so that it's easily discoverable.

View solution in original post

5 Replies
ChrisDonohue__GISP
MVP Alum

Welcome to GeoNet. If you have any questions, go ahead and post - there's bound to be folks who know the answer.

Chris Donohue, GISP

0 Kudos
JakeSkinner
Esri Esteemed Contributor

Hi Manetta,

You would want to place your question in the Geoprocessing place:

Geoprocessing

Also, be sure to add tags to your post so that it's easily discoverable.

ElliottRobinson
New Contributor III

Hey Manetta,

You can join the group I created called GIS Newbies.

In the title bar at the top of the page you'll see: 

Home     Content     People    Places     Map

Click on Places and then look for the purple GIS Newbies group.

ElliottRobinson
New Contributor III

Hi again Manetta,

Timothy from ESRI pointed out that the New to GIS group has basically the same goal as the GIS for Newbies group that I started, so I deleted the GIS for Newbies group and will be spending my time over at New to GIS.

Cheers,

elliott

AmandaBishop
Occasional Contributor

Hello Manetta,

Welcome back to the world of GIS!  I also have a similar situation where I worked in GIS for 5 1/3 years from 2004-2009.  I was fresh out of college with an A.S. Degree in Computer Information Technology and it was a very rewarding learning experience.  I left my GIS job in June of 2009 to pursue different career avenues and recently at the beginning of this year in February, I came back to a GIS career.  I can relate to forgetting or "losing" your touch as a technician, but NO WORRIES! You will pick it back up gradually.  What I did is I went online to ESRI's Training Catalog (surprisingly I was able to remember my global log in and recovered a majority of my previous training online), and I looked for as many free classes as possible.  I sat and watched the seminars and also the web courses.  I am not sure how your employer feels about paying for classes online or if there is a training budget at your current job, but there are also tons of very helpful web courses (usually $32 a piece) that offer a wealth of knowledge.

I am proud to say that I have regained and gained more knowledge now than I did before and I am getting ready to obtain my GISP Certification.

I wish you the best of luck in your future endeavors!

~ Amanda

0 Kudos