I have a shapefile table and i wanted to select some rows from it and then convert and save them as a shapefile. Any help? appreciated
If you already have a shapefile, here's what you can do:
1. Add the shapefile into ArcGIS.
2. Next, we will do the selection. Since you said you wanted to select the rows, open the Attribute Table for the shapefile. You can do this by Right-clicking on the shapefile name in the Table of Contents (where the shapefile is located in ArcMap) and choosing "Open Attribute table.
3. Next, we will click the rows you want to select to create the Selection.
- Hold down the Shift Key to select rows including all the rows in between.
- Hold down the Control Key to Select/Unselect individual rows.
- There is a "Clear Selection" icon on top which is helpful if you find you have selected way too much and want to start over.
4. When you have all the rows selected that you need, the next step is to export them. Right-click on the shapefile in the Table of Contents. Choose "Data", then off of that "Export Data".
5. An "Export Data" window will appear. Make sure the topmost setting is set to "Export: Selected Features" so that only the features you chose are exported.
6. For "Output Feature Class", hit the folder icon on the right and browse to where you want the file saved. Name it what you wish, and for "Save as Type:" be sure to choose "Shapefile."
7. Hit the "Save" button. Done.
Chris Donohue, GISP
You will need to add two fields either Longitude, Latitude or X,Y and provide the coordinates for each feature in the table, then you go File, Add Data, Add XY data to create an event theme...you can then export the event theme to a shapefile. If your table contains address, lookup Geocoding in the help files.
Hi Dan ..thanks for your reply. My table is a shapefile table do i still need to add xy coordinates? if so how can i do that?
OK let me try it
Dan ..I got it.It works great with me... Thanks a lot for your help. Appreciated
No...I assumes you just had the dbf portion erroneously...my bad...but this sometimes happens when people try the export from the table rather from the layer in the TOC... And of course, a query would expedite the process rather manual selection, if applicable
Sorry Chris I was in a hurry and i didn't look at your name and i thought that was Dan... I REALLY appreciate your input and help
Thanks a lot
Retrieving data ...