Hiding the “feature service” and showing its “map service”,

11-12-2014 12:06 AM
JamalNUMAN
Legendary Contributor

Hiding the “feature service” and showing its “map service”,

I still need to share (public) a service that has “feature access” enabled, but I don’t want users to be able to edit it.

Is there a way to hide the “feature service” and to keep its “map service”?

Clip_179.jpg

Best

Jamal

----------------------------------------
Jamal Numan
Geomolg Geoportal for Spatial Information
Ramallah, West Bank, Palestine
0 Kudos
10 Replies
RaymondHuang1
New Contributor III
Take a look at this: http://resources.arcgis.com/en/help/main/10.1/index.html#/Feature_service_permissions_and_editor_tra...

​Visually, the feature service will still be visible if the user needs to see the map service. To control access to the feature service, i believe ArcGIS 10.1 onwards has feature services that employ several access control levels and edit tracking capabilities that may be what you need.

JamalNUMAN
Legendary Contributor

Thank you Raymond for the useful input.

I have explored the link you have already provided but couldn’t figure out how to let the “map service” available for viewing while hiding its “feature service”

Is this development (coding) level or configuration?

Jamal Numan
0 Kudos
RaymondHuang1
New Contributor III
Well, I am not sure if you have applied the instructions from the URL. It is configured at feature class schema level. Essentially, both the map service and feature service will be visible. However, editing access can be restricted based on user log-in. Is that what you may be looking for?

JamalNUMAN
Legendary Contributor

Precisely. I need the access to editing to be controlled by credentials.

What is confusing me the most is that at the level of the ArcGIS server the “feature services” don’t appear. If the “map service” is locked, then its “feature service” is locked as well”.

I couldn’t figure out how to lock the “feature service” but to keep the “map service” visible. Also, I can find nothing at the level of feature class to control it.

Clip_181.jpg

Clip_182.jpg

Clip_183.jpg

Jamal Numan
0 Kudos
RaymondHuang1
New Contributor III
I am sorry I was mistaken about what was required. Please go under your Feature Access> Advanced Options> Feature Service Advanced Options to set it up. In short, you can enable the capture of usernames who created the feature and no other users will be able to modify features not created by them.

​If that is not sufficient, then Esri recommends that you publish two different services to cater to two different groups of users.
JamalNUMAN
Legendary Contributor

Many thanks Raymond for the prompt help,

This appears not to achieve what I’m looking for. All what I want to do is to show the “map service” and to hide its “feature service”. Accessing the “feature service” should require logins.

Is this scenario possible?

Clip_1097.jpg

Jamal Numan
0 Kudos
RaymondHuang1
New Contributor III
In that case, I am quite sure u need two separate services. 
JamalNUMAN
Legendary Contributor

Thanks Raymond for the prompt answer.

In this case, I need to share my mxd file twice. One without enabling the “feature access” and other with.

Clip_1116.jpg

Two issues arise:

1. this will require to publish the mxd file twice each time I need to apply changes.
  2. This will increase the number of ArcSoc.exe

Am I correct?

Why the ArcGIS Server doesn’t recognize the “map service” and its “feature service” separately and thus one can lock the “feature service”? This can introduce root solution to the issue.

Clip_1117.jpg

Jamal Numan
0 Kudos
RaymondHuang1
New Contributor III
The two issues you mentioned are correct. 

​i guess it is because of feature service is not a service by itself but a capability of a map service that's why.