Right-clicking on a shapefile

Jump to solution
11-08-2014 04:29 PM
BrianKranick
New Contributor II

Hello, I've just started using my Arc Desktop at home (basic user license), and when I right-click on a shapefile I cannot get anything to come up (ie, attribute table, label, etc).  Any idea why?

thanks!

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
StevenGraf1
Occasional Contributor III

Are you able to right click anything outside of ArcMap?  You may check this article and see if these settings would help.

View solution in original post

10 Replies
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

are you in the data view in the table of contents?

0 Kudos
BrianKranick
New Contributor II

yes

0 Kudos
BrianKranick
New Contributor II

Not sure if it's relevant, but I am also running this on a new laptop.  I'm wondering maybe if I have to configure the keypad or something too?  In addition, I am using it on a MAC that I have configured the hard-drive to run windows in order to load Arc.  Maybe the commands are a little different than on a PC?

0 Kudos
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

an astute observation...try to emulate it in another application

StevenGraf1

Are you using a regular mouse instead of the MAC mouse?  I've noticed that you still can't right click anything using a normal 2 button mouse even when running windows on a MAC.  Try using the MAC right click when you load windows.

Steven

BrianKranick
New Contributor II

Thank you both.  I'm actually not using a mouse at all.  I've just been using the touchpad on the laptop. Maybe I should try using a mouse instead.  Steven are you using a MAC?  It sounds like I should try using a MAC mouse specifically, correct?

0 Kudos
StevenGraf1

I'm not using a Mac but i have seen people experience the problem.  Using a separate mouse shouldn't be any different.  It's worth a shot though.

0 Kudos
BrianKranick
New Contributor II

do you know how they resolved it?  if they did..

0 Kudos
StevenGraf1

Are you able to right click anything outside of ArcMap?  You may check this article and see if these settings would help.