sid to geoTiff tiles

11-05-2014 10:20 PM
forestknutsen1
MVP Regular Contributor

I have two sid files, around 25GB, that I need to process. I need in the end geoTiff tiles (1GB in size would be fine) of a sub area defined by a polygon. And I need to preserve the data quality.

I have tried extract by mask, thinking that I could cut the sid down with the polygon to make the file size smaller, but it did not make an output after an hour of running even with a relatively small polygon mask.

Next I looked at LizardTech's tools here:

http://www.lizardtech.com/downloads/category/#tools__utilities

I ran the command "mrsidgeodecode -wf -i input.sid -o output.tiff" on a 1GB sid, I downloaded for testing, and it failed.

What is the best way to do this?

0 Kudos
17 Replies
JakeSkinner
Esri Esteemed Contributor

Hi Forest,

Is the SID 25 GBs on disk, or is this the uncompressed size of the SID?  You can check the uncompressed size by right-clicking on the SID in ArcMap > Properties > Source tab.  When converting a SID to another format, such as TIF, the image will become uncompressed, so you may be creating a much larger raster than you think.

One way to see the output size of the raster you are creating is to zoom in to the area you would like to export > right-click on the SID > Data > Export Data.  Choose 'Data Frame' under extent and below you should see the new uncompressed size.

0 Kudos
forestknutsen1
MVP Regular Contributor

Hi Jake,

Thanks for taking the time to reply. The sid sizes are 19.21GB and 28.79GB. I have tiff tiles for the other imagery years and after I have clipped them to the area of interest the output directory has been between 35GB and 45GB so I would image that the clipped output of the sids should be about the same if not smaller (the cell size for the year in quetion is only 2x2 vs 1x1 for the other years). The cell size of the provided sids and tiff are both the same in the tiffs and sids for these years.

What would your suggestion be to demosaicing them. Maybe just an export in arc?

0 Kudos
JakeSkinner

When you say the SIDs are 19.21GB and 28.79GB, is that the size on disk or the uncompressed size?

What is the purpose of clipping these rasters?  How are you looking to use the clipped result?  There may be another solution other than clipping imagery.

0 Kudos
forestknutsen1
MVP Regular Contributor

That is uncompressed size from the properties in ArcCatalog - looks like the size on disk is a little less then a gigabyte per sid.

We are doing a data share and we can only release imagery in the area of interest.

We want to share GeoTiffs so that the consumer of the data can import them into a CAD package.

0 Kudos
JakeSkinner

I would try performing the extract by zooming to the area of interest and then right-clicking on the SID > Export Data > choose 'Data Frame' for the extent.  This will provide how much data on disk is required.

0 Kudos
forestknutsen1
MVP Regular Contributor

The size is the same for the one I checked - 28.79GB.

0 Kudos
JakeSkinner

How are you sharing the data?  It may be a little difficult to share a 28 GB TIFF image.

0 Kudos
forestknutsen1
MVP Regular Contributor

Yes, we have an FTP site set up for that part - the whole share size will be something like 200GB.

I did try an export raster from arc and got a washed out looking tiff.

Looks like the LizardTech's tools did work fine on one of the sid files. No idea why it was failing on the sample sid I had. Who knows maybe it was old or corrupt in some way. Don't look a gift horse in the mouth. I exported one so now I have a tiff that is ~30GB.

I cut it up with the split raster tool which did make the tiff tiles ok - but the images in the tiles looks all washed out when done (looks the same as my esri export to tiff output)?? Why would this be happing? Other options for cutting it up into tiles?

0 Kudos
JakeSkinner

Can you send a screen shot of how the images are appearing?

0 Kudos