ArcMap hanging up while trying to process task

Jump to solution
11-05-2014 11:56 PM
BrianMilner
New Contributor II

I'm having trouble with arcmap hanging up while trying to perform tasks (aka clipping, buffering). It will start the task and shows up in the current tab under results, but it just sits there with an hourglass icon and never goes any further. I've tried fully rebooting the computer and no luck. Any suggestions?

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
XanderBakker
Esri Esteemed Contributor

Can you indicate what version and SP of ArcGIS you are using and indicate how large (how many features) the featureclasses are that you're using? Where and in what format is your input data stored?

Are you using Background Processing  (See Geoprocessing\Geoprocessing options)?

Kind regards, Xander

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
4 Replies
BrianMilner
New Contributor II

Also when I tell it to cancel the task it scrolls the message canceling across the bottom, but doesn't stop scrolling the cancelling message. I have left it for a good 2hrs and it still just says cancelling.

0 Kudos
XanderBakker

Can you indicate what version and SP of ArcGIS you are using and indicate how large (how many features) the featureclasses are that you're using? Where and in what format is your input data stored?

Are you using Background Processing  (See Geoprocessing\Geoprocessing options)?

Kind regards, Xander

0 Kudos
BrianMilner
New Contributor II

You were correct Xander the Background Processing had gotten checked on. After I turned it off and restarted, it's working normally again.

0 Kudos
XanderBakker

Glad it worked out for you...

Kind regards, Xander