I'm new to GIS and I'm busy doing some work in ArcGIS Desktop but I've hit a wall. I have to find a new land fill site for the town that I live in. I have to select the landfill site according to specific criteria. The site must:
- be within 10 km from the center of town.
- be within 1 km from major roads.
- not be within urban ares or permanently cultivated areas.
- be at least 15 ha in size, but larger is better.
- Not be within 500 m of a dam.
- not be within conservation areas
- not be near rivers especially on steep slopes (see table 1)
Table 1: Distance from rivers specifications
|Slope||Min Distance (m) from Non Perennial Rivers||Min Distance (m) from perennial rivers|
These are the data sets that I have available.
|Landsat||Landsat image of study area||IMG|
|DEM||A DEM of the study area||GRID|
|Roads||All roads digitized form 1:50 000 topo map||Shape|
|Rivers||All rivers digitized form 1:50 000 topo map||Shape|
|Rivers_area||All rivers digitized form 1:50 000 topo map||Shape|
|Dams||All dams digitized form 1:50 000 topo map||Shape|
|Ca_loc||All local reserves areas digitized form 1:50 000 topo map||Shape|
|Ca_cnc||All nature reserves digitized form 1:50 000 topo map||Shape|
So this is what I've done already:
- I've given all the data sets the same projection;
- I've buffered the 10 km
- I've buffered the 1 km
- I've selected all non - urban areas and non-permanent cultivated areas which are 15 ha or bigger from the land cover shape file.
- I've exported that to a new output layer
- I've buffered the 500 m around all dams
- I've added the conservation area layers
- I used the intersect tool to over lay the layers and now I can see the portions of land (from land cover shape) that have the following criteria:
- are within 10 km of the town center
- are within 1 km of major roads
- are not in urban or permanent cultivated areas
- are not within a distance of 500 m of a dam
- are not within conservation areas
I'm not sure if I should have buffered the dams and of that was the best option.
But what I'm actually struggling with is step 7 of the first list. I'm not sure how to tackle this problem.
Could someone please help me? I would really appreciate any help.
NB: if you need more info to help me feel free to contact me on email@example.com then we can perhaps arrange a Skype call.