Help installing Animal Movement sub-extension

08-27-2010 08:01 AM
MatthewWalters
New Contributor II
It's been a while since I've had call to use an ESRI software seriously so if this seems overly simplistic or otherwise newbieish bare with me.

I'm running ArcInfo 9.3.1 and I'm trying to install the Animal Movement extesion from the USGS.  This extension depend explicitly on Spacial Analyst and thus I am posting my question here.  It's an older extention, but I need to verify some results from an existing report and I'm trying to repeat the procedure used.  I've used this extention before but it was always preinstalled on the machine.

This extention does not have an installer and basicly what I need to know (I think) is what directories are those defined by the environmental variables $AVEXT, $AVLIB, and $AVBIN.  I've taken an educated guess that Lib and Bin dirrectories in the ArcGis home directory correspond to the obvious variables, but the $AVEXT variable has me baffled.

I've also tried running the following script from a custom toolbox:

E = System.getEnvVar("AVEXT")
L = System.getEnvVar("AVLIB")
B = System.getEnvVar("AVBIN")
msgbox.info(E," ",L," ",B,"")

The script runs indefinatly and never results in anything.

I need help with A: Debuging that script; B:  Information on what the defaults for those variables are; or C:  if I'm really screwing this up, instructions on how to install this extention.  If anyone can offer any advice I would appreciate it. 

Matt
0 Kudos
6 Replies
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus
If memory serves, animal movements was for ArcView 3.x not 9.x, so unless they have updated it for ArcGIS, then you are out of luck.
0 Kudos
MatthewWalters
New Contributor II
Yes I think the report author was using 3.x.  I assume based on your comment that this extention is probably entirely incompatable with 9.X?  No workarounds for that sort of thing?  I may be able to get a special license for 3.x if nessisary.  Any other ideas?
0 Kudos
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus
Matt
Entirely incompatible.
Check their website to see if they have ported to AV9.X or AV10.
Or perhaps animals are now still.
0 Kudos
MatthewWalters
New Contributor II
Unfortunately there is a note on the website that say's no updates or support is planned because the individuals responsable for the extension are no longer with USGS.  I guess I'm SOL in that regard.  I'm playing around with the Kernel Density tool in the Spatial Analyst and I'm getting some results but I'm going to have to really play around with it to get anything usable.  Perhaps I'll have to start a thread on that.
0 Kudos
Louisede_Raad
New Contributor
I'm probably too late with this suggestion, but Hawth's Tool does home range calculations and is compatible with 9.3.
0 Kudos
ColinMurray
New Contributor II
If I'm not too late...

ABODE states that it has been tested to 9.3.1.

I would be interested to hear from anyone who has used it or is able to evaluate its results.

It seems that Hawth Tools or the new varient (if it is functional) is the industry standard though.

http://filebox.vt.edu/users/plaver/abode/home.html

Colin
0 Kudos