Create File Geodatabase from XML Schema

11-01-2014 07:29 AM
PeterWilson
Occasional Contributor III

Dear ESRI community

I'm busy implementing the Arc Hydro Geodatabase XML schema and have come across a problem that I need assistance with. The Arc Hydro Data Model has been saved as a XML Schema. I have imported it into a newly generated File Geodatabase and then defined the local projection based on my study area. The problem that I have is that the Domain, Resolution and Tolerance is not being updated and when I try to add features through an edit session I receive the following error message.

"The Create Feature task could not be completed. The coordinates or measures are out of bounds"

Any assistance to import the following schema and set the projection which will update the Domain, Resolution and Tolerance will be appreciated.

Regards

Peter Wilson

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
4 Replies
larryzhang

peter,

What are the versions of Arc Hydro data model  (& ArcGIS) that you are using?

My adivices are, in order to fix:

1. check with Arc Hydro web for the latest data model and documentations.  ArcHydro Tutorial and Documentation

2. Nice to contact Esri Water Resources Team, including the discussion at Ask Our Experts | GIS for Water Resources

To access for download, select a FTP client:

1. Web Client

Site link: https://mft.esri.com

(Video tutorials available on the main page, prior to log in)

2. Third party SFTP client

** Download a preconfigured client

https://mft.esri.com/EFTClient/Account/mft.zip **

3. FTP address to configure a third party SFTP client of your choice:

Site address: mft.esri.com

Port: 22

0 Kudos
PeterWilson

Hi Larry

Thanks for the following suggestions. I've emailed the Arc Hydro Team (Dean Djokic) as well as Melita Kennedy from the Projection Team to see if theres a solution to the following problem. The problem seems to be that the spatial projection is defined after the Feature Datasets and Feature Classes are created, with the default spatial domain being set which cant be changed after the Feature Dataset or Feature Class are created. What I can't understand is why the Spatial Reference is not being set before the Feature Datasets or Feature Classes are created, which would resolve the following problem with the spatial domain.

Regards

0 Kudos
larryzhang

For your question, one of two options can help you:

1. Redefine your SR in the XML schema (i.e., to fix in design phase) ; or

2. You can directly import the schema; but after redeining your SR in Feature Datasets, you are required to remove the spatial indexing and Add new spatial indexing via the GP tools.

0 Kudos
PeterWilson

Hi Larry

I finally found a solution to my problem:

• Using X - Ray for ArcCatalog you can specify the spatial reference from an existing Feature Class and have the XML Schema updated based on the following instructions found: ArcGIS for Local Government 10.1
  • Using ArcGIS Diagrammer you can open the XML Schema and define a spatial reference and save the XML Schema before importing it into a new File Geodatabase: Import XML Document fails

Regards

Peter Wilson

0 Kudos