Using UAV data in ArcGIS

10-31-2014 01:00 AM
MICKCARNEY
New Contributor

Hi

We are UAV operators, our system generates RAW or JPEG files. The auto pilot then writes GPS pitch roll and yaw in the EXIF header of these files.

We have only been using photogrammetry software till now (Agisoft) and the geo tagging works fine with that to build maps.

Where do we start with bringing this raster data into Arc? Do we need to take an intermediate step or can it be brought straight in?

Any help.........?

4 Replies
MICKCARNEY
New Contributor

Nobody?

Can anyone help me with this.....?

0 Kudos
JamesMonty1
New Contributor III

Mick,

If your output raster from Agisoft is a JPG or TIF, and it is in a common coordinate system, you should not have any issues bringing it into Arc.  I have a co-worker who has created both rasters and point clouds in Agisoft form UAV imagery and has done this. The point clouds have required some additional steps to be added into ArcMap, but the LAS files could be used directly in ERDAS or Fusion.

Jim

0 Kudos
larryzhang
Occasional Contributor III

mick,

pls clearify Q:

1. airphotos in JPEG with the header file in EXIF. Normally, all are georeferenced, but may be not accurate enough. Does it sound right to your case?

2. Which photogrammetry software is used by you? ERDAS LPS or PCI OrthoEngine? With this photogrammetry package, how do you process/ present your airphotos?

3. how have you performed (or organized) your airphotos within ArcGIS by geo-tagging? via GeoEvent or pont feature class by running Geo-Tagging info?

Not necessary to answer all above 'correctly', but will have various solutions to your case, if close to ALL accurately...

0 Kudos
CodyBenkelman
Esri Regular Contributor

Hi Mick

Sorry I did not see this post for a VERY long time.

If you still need advice, let me know... 

Cody B

0 Kudos