Why is SHAPE.LEN empty in published service?

10-29-2014 11:23 AM
LisaHuggins
New Contributor III

I have published a service with Shape.len field visible.  I see the field name "SHAPE.LEN" in ArcGIS online map viewer once I configure pop-ups, but there are no values.  Any ideas what I might be missing?

SHAPE_LEN_FIELD.jpg

Tags (2)
0 Kudos
6 Replies
MikeMinami
Esri Notable Contributor

Is the service published to your ArcGIS Server?

Is the source data stored in a geodatabase?

Are you sure the field had a value when you published it? (I have heard of other bugs where the field in the geodatabase is not filled in; search geonet for shape.len).

The shape.len field is created by the geodatabase and managed as part of the geodatabase. If you export it to a different format, like a shapefile, I'm not sure what gets written out, but the field will not be maintained in a shapefile if the data is edited.

Also, if you were to publish from ArcMap to a hosted feature layer, the field is also not currently maintained.

Thanks,

Mike

0 Kudos
LisaHuggins
New Contributor III

Thanks for the response!

I am sure that the field is both populated and published and I can see it in ArcMap when I add the service to the map.  It is not visible in Arcgis.com viewer.  The service is published to our GIS Server and yes, it's stored in a geodatabase. 

Thanks again for the help!

Lisa

0 Kudos
MikeMinami
Esri Notable Contributor

As those field values are not being maintained currently when published as a hosted feature layer, they must be getting cleared out on publishing. I presume this may have been intentional so that people don't think that the values are correct.

We are working to enhance this behavior to support these values in a hosted layer.

Thanks,

Mike

0 Kudos
LisaHuggins
New Contributor III

Thanks for the response.  Let me make sure I understand.  Even though my service is published to our GIS Server, when I add it to Arcgis.com, does it become a hosted service?  And that's why the value isn't published?

0 Kudos
MikeMinami
Esri Notable Contributor

Sorry, my mistake...I was thinking you published as a hosted feature layer.

Can you share the URL to your service? Is it publicly accessible? If you connect to the service (not your source data) in ArcMap, can you see values for these fields?

You may want to contact Esri Technical Support. This may be able to provide you with more information.

THanks,

Mike

0 Kudos
LisaHuggins
New Contributor III

It is a secure layer.  I can contact tech support.  Thanks for all your help thus far!

0 Kudos