Districting Tool: Single Unassigned District

10-30-2014 05:18 AM
GerardoMartín_Martínez
New Contributor

I have been trying to group census areas into groups of approximately 15.000 people in the Spanish province of Alicante. I have just discovered the Districting Add-in and have spent all day trying to figure it put. I am currently using ArcMap 10.2.2.

I already have the shapefiles with the census areas and the total populations of those areas, as well as the amount of men and women, associated with their corresponding area.

When using the tool, I load the mentioned census shape file with all the data,  use the code of each area as key field and the total population as the universe and optimal-value field. It doesn't matter the number of districts I choose to create (the number would have to be 125 , as the target value is 15000). When I finish using the tool, the output is a single Unassigned district with the totality of the population. I have started editing the district plan and selecting the areas manually, but it is overconsuming both my time and my patience.

I have uploaded a Screenshot with the resulting map. I would appreciate any input on the issue.

Thanks a lot,

Gerardo.

0 Kudos
1 Reply
LisaDouangchai1
New Contributor

Hi, I am sure you found a solution to your issue since your posting in 2014!

I am sharing my find in case others have a tough time with the add-on as well. I found this FAQ page helpful.

FAQ - Districting for ArcGIS  

The description of the tool is very misleading:

"The add-on transforms what was once a long, manual process into a convenient way of defining police beats; sales territories; voting, school, and fire districts; and many other boundaries."

When I used the tool, I learned that it does not automatically assign geographic units to districts. You have to manually or interactively select the geographic units for each district. This tool may be useful for certain purposes, but not for my current project.

0 Kudos