sessions

Jump to solution
10-29-2014 01:34 AM
jayasudha
New Contributor III

Hi

In SERVER_CONFIG table (ArcSDE 10.1 direct connect), the CONNECTIONS parameter is set to 64 (default)

The init (Oracle 11g on Linux) parameter SESSIONS is set to 200.

Which value will prevail ?

Do i need to alter SERVER_CINFIG table to set CONNECTIONS as 200.

Thanks.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
VinceAngelo
Esri Esteemed Contributor

I'm not sure I can eliminate your confusion, but I can try one more time:

The database has a limit on the total number of connections (SESSIONS).  The application software has a limit on the number of enterprise geodatabase connections (CONNECTIONS).  If you have more geodatabase users than the application limit, you'll get soft errors ("too many connected users").  If you increase the application limit and hit the database limit, you'll get hard errors ("database error").  Geodatabase connections are not the only kinds of connections accepted by the database (ODBC, JDBC, ...), so it's possible to hit the SESSIONS limit even without increasing CONNECTIONS.  If you increase SESSIONS, it will increase the system resources required to start Oracle, and could cause platform stability issues.

Yes, if you are going to have more than the current CONNECTIONS users you'll need to increase the value.  Making that change will have no impact on the number of SESSIONS supported by the database, but it can cause a number of more significant errors (and more errors in different places).  I'd always recommend keeping the CONNECTIONS value below the SESSIONS value, because I prefer more descriptive (and less severe) error messages.  Increasing the SESSIONS value is a database administration issue, which requires far more information about the system before I'd be willing to venture a opinion (and I'd be safer waiting until I was under contract to make such a recommendation before doing so).

- V

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
6 Replies
VinceAngelo

How many users will actually be on the system?  The 64 number is really just there to prevent Windows from overflowing the non-interactive desktop heap with application server connections.  If you really intend to have 200 users, you should bump up the Oracle SESSIONS to be 10% higher.  If you use Query Layers and Direct Connect together, you may need to double the SESSIONS.

- V

0 Kudos
jayasudha
New Contributor III

Thanks vince for your response.

There will be around 150 users.

What is role of SERVER_CONFIG table in Oracle ? I think all these parameters set in Oracle iniitialization parameters.

Why do we need to double the sessions if we use query layers and direct connect together ?

0 Kudos
VinceAngelo

The SDE.SERVER_CONFIG table has no role in Oracle administration (it is, after all, a user table).  It contains operating parameters used by the enterprise geodatabase.  The ArcGIS documentation covers the parameters and their meaning.

If you're using two (or three) different connection types for each user, then you could have two (or three) times as many sessions as users.  If you look in the database for the list of connected clients this will become clearer.

- V

0 Kudos
jayasudha
New Contributor III

Vince

I am confused.

The ArcGIS documentation mentioned by you says the following for CONNECTIONS parameter.

In ArcSDE 9 and later releases, this parameter also limits the number of direct connections. Therefore, your total number of two- and three-tiered connections cannot exceed the value of this parameter.

You mentioned the following

The 64 number is really just there to prevent Windows from overflowing the non-interactive desktop heap with application server connections

The documentation says about both direct connect and app server connect. I want to know whether i need to change this parameter in my case (direct connect). If I need to change what would the impact of Oracle init parameter SESSIONS ?

0 Kudos
VinceAngelo

I'm not sure I can eliminate your confusion, but I can try one more time:

The database has a limit on the total number of connections (SESSIONS).  The application software has a limit on the number of enterprise geodatabase connections (CONNECTIONS).  If you have more geodatabase users than the application limit, you'll get soft errors ("too many connected users").  If you increase the application limit and hit the database limit, you'll get hard errors ("database error").  Geodatabase connections are not the only kinds of connections accepted by the database (ODBC, JDBC, ...), so it's possible to hit the SESSIONS limit even without increasing CONNECTIONS.  If you increase SESSIONS, it will increase the system resources required to start Oracle, and could cause platform stability issues.

Yes, if you are going to have more than the current CONNECTIONS users you'll need to increase the value.  Making that change will have no impact on the number of SESSIONS supported by the database, but it can cause a number of more significant errors (and more errors in different places).  I'd always recommend keeping the CONNECTIONS value below the SESSIONS value, because I prefer more descriptive (and less severe) error messages.  Increasing the SESSIONS value is a database administration issue, which requires far more information about the system before I'd be willing to venture a opinion (and I'd be safer waiting until I was under contract to make such a recommendation before doing so).

- V

0 Kudos
jayasudha
New Contributor III

Many thanks for the details.

0 Kudos