arcgisscripting to arcpy - any speed improvement?

Jump to solution
10-27-2014 08:38 PM
PaulDavidson1
Occasional Contributor III

Just curious, does converting older scripts from arcgisscripting to arcpy gain any speed improvements?

Obviously for some things, using the 64bit engine could create some good results but I'm more curious just about the basic 32 bit engines.

Thanks

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

the new data access cursors module is faster

You can always explore the What's New section to see things that are specifically of interest to you

Python and numpy have been updated
The list of improvements by 10.x version number can be found in the what's new section

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
3 Replies
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

the new data access cursors module is faster

You can always explore the What's New section to see things that are specifically of interest to you

Python and numpy have been updated
The list of improvements by 10.x version number can be found in the what's new section

0 Kudos
JasonScheirer

arcpy mostly just wraps arcgisscripting in a Python-programmer-friendly way. Like Dan said, arcpy.da cursors are way faster. Otherwise any speed improvements you'd see in arcpy (I'm not aware of too many, aside from a few specific geoprocessing tools that now benchmark better) will also apply to arcgisscripting.

PaulDavidson1

Thanks guys.

I guess that means that other than using the much easier to use cursors, there's no real point in converting arcgisscripting code, at least from a performance standpoint.

My experience is almost all with arcpy but I guess I should review the what's new to see if there are some issues that might clean up or speed up.  Guess I'd just have to do some tests.

I'd imagine that for some of our stuff, where we're manipulating large SDE databases and creating file gdbs for websites, that going to 64bit version might speed things up quite a bit.

0 Kudos