Are we stuck with default transformation in the Project tool?

10-27-2014 08:13 AM
AndyStrawn
New Contributor

The PROJECT tool in 10.2 the Geographic Transformation now has a default which is not appropriate for the data that I'm working with. For example when projecting to WGS_1984 it automatically selects ITRF00 which is incorrect.

Is there a way to override this default selection?

0 Kudos
3 Replies
MelitaKennedy
Esri Notable Contributor

Hi,

You should be getting several transformations in the pull-down list. Are you getting only one? You may be seeing a transformation that is named something like WGS_1984_(ITRF00)...if so that's my hint that the transformation was designed to work with WGS84 when it was equivalent to ITRF00.

Melita

0 Kudos
AndyStrawn
New Contributor

There are several transformations available but since the 10.2 release, ESRI chooses one for you. If this one is not appropriate you have to choose the one you want and delete the one that Arc defaults too. I want it to remain blank and not automatically choose one for me.

0 Kudos
CherylTrine
Occasional Contributor II

Andy,

I agree with you.  Invariably the default is not correct for my work, so I have to add the one I want, then delete the one I don't want . . .  and it has to be in that order!  I am guessing that they chose to not allow that field to be blank.  I would prefer to see it blank, because then I won't accidentally use the improper transformation, and wonder, down the road, why the data doesn't quite line up.

Cheryl Trine

0 Kudos