ArcGIS Pro and ArcGIS 10.2.1

10-25-2014 10:28 AM
EdwardBlair
Occasional Contributor

Should installing ArcGIS Pro have any impact on my ArcGIS 10.2.1 installation? 

I tried installing ArcGIS Pro.  Found I couldn't get it to work and un-installed it.  Now my ArcMap installation seems to be behaving oddly... slower and pausing between operations.  Am thinking I need to uninstall/re-install my ArcGIS.

Is this my imagination?  Any insights would be much appreciated.

Thx,

Ed

0 Kudos
7 Replies
EdwardBlair
Occasional Contributor

OK.  Think I found my problem. Not really an ArcGIS Pro thing.  Just that the Windows $PATH variable got over the maximum 2,048 character limit and Windows started losing track of where it kept its family treasures.   Reducing the $PATH variable to below this size has returned things back to normal (fingers crossed).

Wonder if this was also the root of my ArcGIS Pro installation not working?   (May try again later)

Ed

RichardNilsson
New Contributor II

Hi Ed!

This about the path sounds interesting. We are using databases that have very long paths (sometimes including special characters: å ä ö) and my ArcMap i extremely slow sometimes (all the time). I have other suspects, but could you please expand your explanation on the path problem you had. Could you provide the path you had and how you found it?

Thanks in advance!

/Richard

0 Kudos
AsrujitSengupta
Regular Contributor III

Richard Nilsson‌ The PATH variable being discussed here is the Environment Path Variable.

Right-Click on 'My Computer'> Properties> Advanced System Settings> Advanced> Environment Variables> Under "System Variables" look for the variable named "Path"

As Edward mentioned, there is a limit of 2,048 character and he had exceeded that.

These variables should not be modified unless you are sure about what you are doing.

0 Kudos
RichardNilsson
New Contributor II

Asrujit SenGupta Thanks for explaining! Unfortunately I am not able to check whats going on cause of IT policy. The bastards lock me out of my computer! I don't have the credentials to get into the advanced settings.

0 Kudos
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

The size limit on the Environment block was removed by Microsoft some time ago.

The limit you see now is from the apps that write to it. If youre using the command line or something like ShellExecute they are constrained from INTERNET_MAX_URL_LENGTH, which turns out to be.... 2048.

GabrielYarlequé
Occasional Contributor

hi,

don´t forget to check the ArcGIS Pro System Requirements: ArcGIS Pro system requirements—ArcGIS Pro | ArcGIS for Professionals

0 Kudos
RichardNilsson
New Contributor II

Are not using Pro yet. But thanks for your input.

/Richard

0 Kudos