Internal Error 2908 When Installing ArcGIS 10.1 Desktop

10-25-2014 11:02 PM
LaurenDamon
New Contributor

I'm trying to install ArcGIS 10.1 Desktop, and get multiple Internal Error 2908 notifications.  The screen shots are attached.  I looked at other postings and made sure I had all of the recommended updates.  Can anyone help?  I'm trying to run a student version of desktop on Windows 7 Home Premium.

Thanks,

Lauren

0 Kudos
3 Replies
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

And you updated windows as well?  similar threads point to flawed or out of date windows

0 Kudos
LaurenDamon
New Contributor

I checked windows updates and everything is up to date.  I've read some other forums on topic, and I don't seem to have any of the same issues.

0 Kudos
V_StuartFoote
MVP Frequent Contributor

Lauren Damon

The Windows installer error 2908 are all failures in writing to the Windows registry.

First thing to do is open the Windows registry with "regedit" (run from a command window 'Run as Administator') and set a RegistrySizeLimit DWORD value of 0xffffffff (eight f's) in this key:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\

create it anew if not already present.

Also, check that you have not disabled support for .NET 3.5sp1 -- done from "appwiz.cpl" (also run from a command window 'Run as Administator') and the "Turn Windows features on or off" from the menu on the left.  In the Windows Features dialog that opens--make sure there is a blue selection box made for the Microsoft .NET Framework 3.5.1 entry.  If not, set it and OK out. If already set, just cancel out.

Restart the computer!

Disable UAC and any Anti-virus/anti-malware program!

Make another attempt at the installation--are you working with DVD media, or the downloaded installer?  Either way, you need to make sure to run the installation as an Administrator.  When clicking on the ESRI.exe, or on the extracted Setup.exe, use the right mouse button and "Run as Administrator".

Post back if still stuck.

Stuart

0 Kudos