Getting started with GIS

10-25-2014 02:56 AM
Eikev__Rabenau
New Contributor

Dear Community!

I have a major problem! I have to do a project with GIS and I'm running a bit out of time...plus, I'm totally new to this program.

Our prof. at university gave us a few exercises we should get done in a few days time. The first one was, to load data in ArcMap. A shape called biotopes and a shape called roads, which i did. No problem. Our job now, is to analyse. The shape roads has two variaties that seperate at one end and get together again at the other. So here my problem/exercises the prof gave us (I'll try my best to translate in english!):

1. How strong (Area) are the individual biotopetypes affected, if you select just the biotopes, that are directly touched by the individual road variaties (select by location)?

2. How strong (Area) are the individual biotopetypes affected, if you select just the biotopes, that are touched within a buffer of each individual road (select by location)? Its up to you how to choose the radius of the buffer, but try to motivate it. Please choose two different buffer-sizes and analyze, what changed.

Please add up the area per biotopetype of each road.

I have two more questions, but this should do it for now. I guess it's enough work allready. Sorry, for asking those maybe simple (stupid) questions. But i really want to learn this program and get going. If there is somebody, that speaks german that would be really great! But no offense, it's just for my understanding....Oh, and if somebody needs a screenshot, i would do so!

Thanks a lot in advance, Eikman  

0 Kudos
1 Reply
CamBarnard
New Contributor III

Hello Eikman,

I found the free courses offered by Esri an excellent introduction to GIS and the ArcGIS software.

Esri Training

You can find them by going to the Training Catalog and looking for the free training options.

Most of these courses can be completed in less than 2-3 hours and provide excellent information for those starting out.

Cam

0 Kudos