How to say number after version in English

10-23-2014 10:41 PM
AyakoSUZUKI
New Contributor III

How to say new version of JavaScript API 3.11 in English.

Do you say "three point one one" or "three point eleven"?

Tags (4)
0 Kudos
4 Replies
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

it is a preference by I would go with ... JavaScript API three point one one
or if the sub version number didn't matter JavaScript API three point X

now that I have opened up this can of worms...you will realize that people will have their own preferences ... and unless you can show me an official email indicating otherwise....

While we are at it ... for the longest period of time the debate has rage about how one "says"  esri ... is it e  s  r  i  or is it ezzree ??  what happened to the uppercase version? etc etc

0 Kudos
MelitaKennedy
Esri Notable Contributor

Interesting question. I don't know what the actual team calls it. I would probably use three point eleven or three dot eleven, but a case could be made for simply three eleven. Many people on the ArcGIS Desktop/Server teams say ten three, ten two two, etc. and omit the "point" or "dot" here in Redlands. If I were speaking to a customer, I would be more likely to include "point".

Dan Patterson we had at least two emails when the official pronunciation and spelling changed. It's officially ez-ree (short e then long e) and Esri (except in the logo).

0 Kudos
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

Yes but you can tell the difference between my older students and newer students...habits are slow to die Melita Kennedy

0 Kudos
NancyGnanicys
New Contributor II

I hear "dot" being used most often when referring to the versions.  Javascript three dot eleven, in this case, but like Dan said too, it is all really preferences, the message is still the same how it is said. 

0 Kudos