How to get basemap of an Area? How to do network analysis of an Area?

10-25-2014 11:22 PM
Usman_Jilani
New Contributor

Hi Everyone,

I am doing a project tilted Optimization of Solid Waste Collection in my native locality of Phase 6, Hayatabad, Peshawar, Pakistan.

The Network Analyst tool would be used in route optimization. The problem is how to get the map of "Phase 6, Hayatabad, Peshawar" into the ArcMap to analyze it using "network analyst".

I have used the File>Add Data>add Basemap>open street map>(zoomed into my interest area) and then I click the network analyst button on the toolbar but it is disabled?

I have used the Exercise 3 tutorial to acquaint myself but the main point I am missing here is "How to get the map of my area [google: phase 6, hayatabad, peshawar] into ArcMap to analyze it using network analyst?"

Tags (2)
0 Kudos
1 Reply
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

You need the Network Analyst extension (not free) in order to do network analysis within ArcMap.  You also can't use a basemap to do it, you need to create a network data which you create within the network analyst.  this requires vector data for roads etc, for your area. So if you don't have the network analyst, a network for your locale etc then you can't do a network analysis.