Windows Authentication support for Esri Leaflet?

10-17-2014 12:21 PM
Labels (1)
JeffGermain
New Contributor

Curious if Esri Leaflet supports Windows Authentication.

0 Kudos
5 Replies
PatrickArlt1
Esri Contributor

Could you elaborate on what "Windows Authentication" means? Esri Leaflet support oAuth 2 with ArcGIS Online. There is an example here Access premium ArcGIS Online content | Esri Leaflet .

0 Kudos
JeffGermain
New Contributor

Right. Integrated Windows Authentication. The ArcGIS Server security model uses Integrated Windows Authentication rather than token-based authentication. There is no ArcGIS Online or Portal for ArcGIS involved in this system.

0 Kudos
JeffGermain
New Contributor

So there appears to be an issue limited to Google Chrome where consuming a map service secured using Windows Authentication fails to challenge the user. I've logged this issue here and provided sample code.

0 Kudos
PatrickArlt1
Esri Contributor

I also responded to the issue on GitHub but I'll comment here as well. In general everything is moving in the direction of Portal for ArcGIS which handles token based auth. I think you can also tie your windows logins into Portal but don' quite me on it.

I'm pretty out of my depth here being neither a Windows expert or ArcGIS Server expert. I also have no Windows/ArcGIS Server instances to test against to develop this feature even if I did know what was wrong.

If the goal is to allow a user (using their Integrated Windows Authentication) to access services on an intranet and it works in IE and Firefox it might be a Chrome issue rather then an Esri Leaflet issue.

Is this something you can reproduce with the JS API and the same Map Service? If it works fine in the JS API but not Esri Leaflet we can rule out a Chrome issue.

Overall though this isn't a feature I can support/test/build in an easy way. If you can figure out what is wrong I would welcome a contribution to Esri Leaflet that fixes it. But this feels like a Chrome issue rather then a Esri Leaflet issue.

0 Kudos
JeffGermain
New Contributor

Thanks Patrick - same test using JS API works fine in Chrome. So it appears to be limited to Esri Leaflet and Chrome. We'll investigate further and get back with you if we find a way to resolve it.

Thanks for your input.

0 Kudos