Close a File/Map/.mxd

10-16-2014 01:19 PM
CarlosLeon
New Contributor II

I'm new to ArcGIS/Map ( and this forum...which is cumbersome to say the least ) and found the exact question asked 5 years ago, but with no reply.  I replied, but I cannot find it now.  So I'm curious about why there is no <Close> in the File Menu?  I can't just close a file and leave the app window open.  I have to either exit, thereby closing the app, or start a new file.  I'm wondering if I'm missing something?

Close.jpg

Seems odd not to have a <close> option.

Thx.

0 Kudos
8 Replies
CarlosLeon
New Contributor II

Team GIS...?  Anyone?

0 Kudos
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

Your choices are either File|New or Fille|Exit  To ensure that any open file locks to existing files are removed and can't be inadvertently  accessed.  File|close would leave them remaining as often happens with scripts that don't terminate properly in Arcmap

0 Kudos
CarlosLeon
New Contributor II

Thanks for your reply.  Sorry for such a delayed response.  As I said, this forum is nothing like the forums anywhere I've been.

So why can't a File>Close be created in the ArcMap code that removes the open file lock(s) for the file being closed and leave ArcMap open?  Seems to me that would be a simple add...there must be a reason File>Close was purposely avoided.

0 Kudos
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

Wow... 4 years.

I suspect a file close would just be a shell around a file exit, file open/new.  Perhaps market demand is too low for it to be considered.

Perhaps

ArcGIS Ideas

would be a good place to post a use case and see if it garners any support.

CarlosLeon
New Contributor II

Is 4 years too long to respond/acknowledge a response? 

I'm still consider myself new to ArcMap...and now with ArcGIS Pro looming over me...it feels I'll be back to the drawing board, if you will. 

0 Kudos
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

Your transition to Pro will be fine, if you abandon any thoughts of replicating your exact arcmap workflow.  There is much consternation amongst users that would have preferred just a name change rather than a workflow change.  If you used arctoolbox extensively, rather than shortcuts and menu selections, your transition will be a lot smoother since the functionality and layout (for the most part) has remained the same during the transition.  Good luck, you will be fine

TobiasFimpel1
Occasional Contributor III

I don't think you are missing something. That's just how ArcMap works, I believe.

0 Kudos
ElliottRobinson
New Contributor III

Having no close saves a step.

Also, if you had to be trusted to close every project you opened, one day you would open one-too-many projects and you would get computer gridlock. Call it Arcmageddon if you will.