Web App Builder (Beta 3) : startup.bat [SUCCESS]

Jump to solution
10-16-2014 07:26 AM
BrianO_keefe
Occasional Contributor III

I have been trying to run the Web App Builder (Beta 2) from our web server unsuccessfully.

It would load the web browser at first and fail in a spinning wheel of nothing. I was getting a browser error saying that the 'remote resource wasn't accept incoming' something or other. So... I downloaded the (Beta 3) and now I am getting different errors.

I get the following...

module.js:340

throw err;

^

Error: Cannot find module 'express'

at Function.Module._resolveFilename (module.js:338:15)

at Function.Module._load (module.js:280:25)

at Module.require (module.js:364:17)

at require (module.js:380:17)

at Object.<anonymous> (C:\inetpub\wwwroot\WebAppBuilder\server\server.js:24:15)

at Module._compile (module.js:456:26)

at Object.Module._extensions..js (module.js:474:10)

at Module.load (module.js:356:32)

at Function.Module._load (module.js:312:12)

at Function.Module.runMain (module.js:497:10)

Press any key to continue . . .

I am uncertain as to how to proceed.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
RobertScheitlin__GISP
MVP Emeritus

Brian,

The WAB Developer version is not meant to be run from the IIS wwwroot directory (that would require elevated priviledges, i.e. running NodeJS as Administrator). Here is how I have it setup.

I instal NodeJS on my development machine (my Laptop) and download the WAB Developer version to my C: drive (C:\webappbuilder3). Run the bat file from the C:\webappbuilder3 folder. I always have separation of development and production systems (of course my laptop has IIS as well for testing). Once you have your App setup the way you want you click the download link in WAB and it zips up the App and then you unzip it on your production IIS machine.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
2 Replies
RobertScheitlin__GISP
MVP Emeritus

Brian,

The WAB Developer version is not meant to be run from the IIS wwwroot directory (that would require elevated priviledges, i.e. running NodeJS as Administrator). Here is how I have it setup.

I instal NodeJS on my development machine (my Laptop) and download the WAB Developer version to my C: drive (C:\webappbuilder3). Run the bat file from the C:\webappbuilder3 folder. I always have separation of development and production systems (of course my laptop has IIS as well for testing). Once you have your App setup the way you want you click the download link in WAB and it zips up the App and then you unzip it on your production IIS machine.

0 Kudos
BrianO_keefe
Occasional Contributor III

We have separation of Test / Dev / Prod on everything BUT our web maps. Back under Flex we had FlexBuilder / FlexViewer both on our Dev box, but with the new Javascript I haven't started back on that.

But... Robert Scheitlin, GISP‌, now I do. I just put Web App Builder on our Dev box. Installed Node JS. Ran Web App Builder SUCCESSFULLY! And re-built the map I had built online. (why can't the online one have a download option?!!)

Now I'm getting security errors with trying to download the map... but I can just go grab the files and copy-n-paste them where they need to go. Don't need to download.

Way excited.

Now to get Portal setup and running... I REALLY wish I had someone with as much Portal experience as you have with Web Map experience.

0 Kudos