Insufficient Permissions when trying to delete feature class from Oracle SDE in Catalog

Jump to solution
10-15-2014 12:02 PM
ZacharyPierce
New Contributor III

I am connected to the sde as SDE user. I am trying to delete a feature class but get the error : Failed to delete selected objects. Insufficient Permissions [Insufficient Permissions [SDE]].

Can someone please help on how I can grant the SDE user permissions to delete feature classes from with Arc Catalog.

I have sys access with sysdba privileges I can run it on.

Thanks..

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
JakeSkinner
Esri Esteemed Contributor

The display of feature classes in Catalog will be:

<owner>.<feature class name>

For example,

GIS.Parcels

GIS is the data owner, and Parcels is the feature class name.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
9 Replies
JakeSkinner

Hi Zachary,

You will need to be connected to the database as the data owner in order to delete a feature class using ArcCatalog, regardless of what permissions you have.

0 Kudos
ZacharyPierce
New Contributor III

How can I verify what schema is the data owner? I tried connecting with 4 schemas, and the sys user, I do not have an option to select the delete function.

0 Kudos
JakeSkinner

The display of feature classes in Catalog will be:

<owner>.<feature class name>

For example,

GIS.Parcels

GIS is the data owner, and Parcels is the feature class name.

0 Kudos
ZacharyPierce
New Contributor III

Thanks so much!

I was able to perform the task I was looking to do by your suggestion.

Cheers

0 Kudos
VinceAngelo

The SDE user should not have the ability (or need) to delete tables owned by other users. All DROP TABLE commands should be executed by the owner, though tables should be deleted at the highest level of administration (tables registered as feature classes with the geodatabase should be removed with ArcGIS/Python/ArcObjects; tables registered with ArcSDE should be deleted with 'sdetable -o delete'; and simple tables can be dropped with an SQL client).

In the future, please post questions "In a Place", not in your own discussion space, and be sure to tag each question with at least 4-5 relevant keywords.

- V

0 Kudos
ZacharyPierce
New Contributor III

Vince,

Thanks for the advice on the forum ettiquutte, I thought I did all that but I guess not. The new design is throwing me off.

As far as the original questions, I am not to versed in python/arcobjects. Are you saying that I need to script out to drop a feature class, and this cannot be handled in ArcCatalog?  If it can, any insight on how I can find out the owner user to connect with, I thought it was SDE.

Thanks,

Zach

0 Kudos
VinceAngelo

You can still move this discussion (to GIS->Data Management) using the right-side menu "Move" option.

Not at all. I merely listed the three methods available:

• ArcGIS [both Desktop and Server], which is written with ArcObjects,
  • The ArcPy Python module, which is written with ArcObjects, and
  • ArcObjects, which is written using the ArcSDE API.

I've pretty much moved over to using the Catalog window of Desktop for all my geodatabase administration needs.

It is in fact best practice to never connect as SDE, except for things which require it -- instance and version management.

- V

0 Kudos
ZacharyPierce
New Contributor III

Vince,

I am not sure how to give you credit as well, but I went with the previous reply as it solved the issue I had. Thanks for your input and knowledge about the proper way to handle these situations.

cheers

0 Kudos
VinceAngelo

As a staff member, I'm not eligible for any exciting gifts (neither is Jake), so it's not a big deal.  I think marking the useful bits "Helpful" grants points.

- V

0 Kudos