ArcGIS Pro : Licensing through ArcGIS Online : Is this the future license model?

Jump to solution
10-09-2014 04:43 PM
MarkChilcott
Occasional Contributor III

Hi Peoples,

With the pre-release version of ArcGIS Pro, it appears one has to connect to ArcGIS Online as a named user to authorise a license.

Is this license model the future plan for ArcGIS Pro?

If this is the plan, I can see a few problems.  For a start, it takes us about two hours before ArcGIS Pro finally makes this connection.  It is most likely due to our reverse proxies.  If or when we do connect (it also fails at times), we can check a license out, but this is not optimal.

While we generally have around 25 licenses on our FlexLM license manager active at a time, there are probably around 50 or 60 people that use it, many on a casual basis.  With named users on ArcGIS Online, this is going to cause us more administration and hassle factor.

Is this license model going to change the cost/license structure of an ELA?

Cheers,

Mark

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
MarkChilcott

Hi Peoples,

I would like to clarify some additional information we have just discovered.

Firstly, to access ArcGIS Pro Licenses requires a cloud based ArcGIS Online Named user - no surprises there, as it is covered in the documentation.

What does not appear to be in the Documentation is that ArcGIS Pro is a subscription service, temporary use license - it will expire if you stop paying maintenance.  This would appear to be a paradigm shift in the current permanent Esri license model.

PS:  The issue in relation to us being able to get ArcGIS Pro to connect to ArcGIS Online to obtain the license is due to a bug where ArcGIS Pro does not play well with authenticated proxy servers.

BUG-000083997 - ArcGIS Pro cannot communicate through an Authenticated Forward Proxy. "HTTP 407 Proxy Authentication Required"

Cheers,

Mark

View solution in original post

8 Replies
JoshuaBixby
MVP Esteemed Contributor

I have no clue on your last question.  On the other question, yes, it surely seems Esri is moving towards a per-user licensing model.  Beyond ArcGIS Online (AGOL), licensing is also supported through Portal for ArcGIS (Portal).  This latter option just got enabled with 10.3 pre-release so I am still figuring out the details of making it work.

The issue you are seeing with extended start-up times has been experienced by beta testers and reported to Esri.  Right off the top, I can't remember if a specific issue was identified or if it was supposed to be fixed in pre-release.  Hopefully they do address it soon because "problematic" doesn't quite do justice to describing the impact on affected users.

The hardest part about determining whether per-user licensing will work in the enterprise is that there are still lots of undefined aspects to the cost/license structure of per-user licensing and ELAs.

MarkChilcott

Hi Peoples,

Following up from this, my advice from esri is:

"Please find that I can confirm that you will be required to access the ArcGIS Pro Licenses via ArcGIS Online and will be

required to enable access for each named user individually."

The issue in relation to us connecting to ArcGIS Online appears to be related to our proxy server (SQUID) and is an ongoing support issue with esri.

Cheers,

Mark

0 Kudos
TyFitzpatrick
Esri Contributor

Are you still having issues with your squid proxy server?  What version of squid are you using, because I can connect to arcgis.com when using squid 2.4 and 3.1.1.  Also , what build of pro are you using, because we fixed a specific issue with squid proxy servers at prerelease.

MarkChilcott

Hi Ty,

Still having lots of issues with SQUID proxy.  Cannot connect ArcGIS Online with ArcGIS Desktop - never have been able to, and it takes an hour or two with pre-release (ArcGISPro_1472_143675.exe).  I would upgrade to the latest pre-release, but it looks like I need to sign in to upgrade, which I can't do.

We are working with support to look at the SQUID proxy issue, but alas we are making no head way.  We are getting stuck in the mix of "it works for me, it must by your proxy, talk to your IT staff".

Cheers,

Mark

RichardDaniels

ArcGIS uses your windows internet settings for proxy server information,  you should check your IE settings in Tools | Internet Settings | Connections | LAN Settings.

You can also install ArcGIS Explorer Desktop and run the Test Connection Speed test to help identify where you have problems (found in ArcGIS Explorer Options | Resources | Test Connection Speed).

Rich

MarkChilcott

Hi Rich,

The problem comes down to ArcGIS Pro does not work with authenticated Squid Proxy servers.

BUG-000083997 - ArcGIS Pro cannot communicate to through an Authenticated Forward Proxy. "HTTP 407 Proxy Authentication Required" . 

Cheers,

Mark

0 Kudos
MarkChilcott

I downloaded the newest version of ArcGIS Pro 1.0 from myEsri today, and we still cannot get it to work with our authenticated SQUID proxy server.

0 Kudos
MarkChilcott

Hi Peoples,

I would like to clarify some additional information we have just discovered.

Firstly, to access ArcGIS Pro Licenses requires a cloud based ArcGIS Online Named user - no surprises there, as it is covered in the documentation.

What does not appear to be in the Documentation is that ArcGIS Pro is a subscription service, temporary use license - it will expire if you stop paying maintenance.  This would appear to be a paradigm shift in the current permanent Esri license model.

PS:  The issue in relation to us being able to get ArcGIS Pro to connect to ArcGIS Online to obtain the license is due to a bug where ArcGIS Pro does not play well with authenticated proxy servers.

BUG-000083997 - ArcGIS Pro cannot communicate through an Authenticated Forward Proxy. "HTTP 407 Proxy Authentication Required"

Cheers,

Mark